It's our pleasure to welcome you to DeSales University, Class of 2024 and transfer students. We are excited and honored for you to join the DeSales University community as you begin your Orientation Program.
First-Year Student and Transfer Student Move In Day is scheduled for August 13, 2020.
What is Orientation?
The Orientation program provides personal guidance to first year students in their transition to the DeSales University community. Students gain valuable information on the different academic, social, and spiritual opportunities on campus and are welcomed into the first year experience program, Character U. Transfer students are welcome to participate in Character U; Please contact the Orientation team for more information.
What is the Purpose of Orientation?
Orientation is a time for you, as a student, to build Character, a very important experience at DeSales in which you will be a part of the Character U program. This year long program is designed to help you in your transition into the DeSales community from the moment you step foot on campus with the help of our peer mentors.
During Orientation you will be placed in 1 of 8 Pods and compete for the coveted Dog Bowl.
What is the Theme?
This year's theme is "Get in Tune with your Character!" Each pod is assigned a decade of music.
Weekly Orientation Drop-In Zoom Sessions
Every Wednesday from June 3 through August 12 you'll have the opportunity to drop in and say hi to Nick Luchko, Assistant Dean of Students for Engagement and Leadership and Director of Orientation.
Bring your questions!
Personal Zoom Sessions with the Financial Aid team
Do you have questions about loan programs that are available or want to go over what you have left to complete the financial aid process? The DeSales Financial Aid Staff will be available to meet with you and your family for a scheduled personalized Zoom meeting to go over questions you may have.
20 minute sessions are available on a first-come first-served basis on July 30 and 31, and August 5 and 7. Times available range from 12pm-3:30pm.
**The Financial Aid staff can also be reached to discuss your questions at firstname.lastname@example.org or 610-282-3382.
Class of 2024—Welcome to the DSU Summer Preview!
This year the Orientation Team has created a virtual, interactive, and online Orientation program you, your parents, families and supporters. It will include videos about the offices you will interact with during the year, webinars and live zoom session for specifics topics that deal with first year students issues, and other important information that will be useful before you get to campus.
The Orientation Team would highly suggest that you check your DeSales email every day, join the Class of 2024 Facebook page, and follow the DSU Class of 2024 and DeSales Orientation Instagram pages. Also throughout the summer make sure to use the hashtag #DesalesU2024.
We are really excited for you to become new Bulldogs and join the 2024 Tour! #DeSalesU2024
Upcoming Zoom Meetings
Please take the opportunity to attend any or all of our upcoming zoom meetings:
- Career Exploration Panel for Exploratory Studies
Monday, August 10 at 3:00pm EST
Go to the meeting (Passcode: bulldog)
Majors and careers are not one-size-fits-all! Hear from current students and alumni about the opportunities and experiences at DeSales (and beyond!) that played an important role in their exploration of majors and career paths. Tips, tricks and suggestions for discovering your personal passions and aptitudes will be shared, and there will be an opportunity for participants to ask questions.
- So, You Want to Be a Nurse? Pre-Nursing Student Panel
Tuesday, August 11 at 3:00pm EST
Go to the meeting (Passcode: bulldog)
With the start of the Fall semester just around the corner, it’s time to embark on your journey and begin working to achieve your goal of becoming a nurse! In this session, you will hear from current NU majors, NU alumni, and Pre-Nursing peer mentors about what it takes to succeed in your first-year science courses and progress into the nursing major.
Please check back again soon, more information will be posted as it becomes available.
Please review the following checklist, which can also be found on MyDSU.
Make sure everything is completed by the deadlines to avoid delays at the check-in process at Fall Orientation.
QUESTIONS? Call 610-282-1100 plus the extension attached to each item.
As Soon As Possible
- Begin checking your DeSales email frequently and getting familiar with MyDSU.
- Complete the Freshman Course Registration Survey. It will be emailed to all deposited students. It can also be found on Engage, under Campus Links.
Beginning Monday, May 18, 2020
- Begin the housing application online through MyDSU under Housing@DSU. You must complete up to Step 9 to receive a housing selection time slot. (Call ext. 1425)
Thursday, June 4, 2020
- Housing application deadline. (Call ext. 1425)
Friday, June 12, 2020
- You will receive an email from email@example.com with your housing selection time slot. (Call ext. 1425)
June 17 and 18, 2020 (depending on your housing selection time slot)
- Login to MyDSU and go to Housing@DSU to complete your housing application and select your room. Select room on Step 10 with the "Room Selection Wizard," then confirm your housing application on Step 11. (Call ext. 1425)
By Wednesday, July 1, 2020 (for Student Athletes only)
- Student athletes must complete additional health forms for the athletic department. Forms are located at athletics.desales.edu.
By Friday, July 10, 2020
- If you don't know your pod of peer mentor, email DSUOrientation@desales.edu, or call ext. 1843.
Friday, July 17, 2020
- You will receive an email with instructions to complete the College Student Inventory (CSI). The CSI is a national assessment designed for first-year students that will ask you to reflect on your personal, social, and academic expectations about college. This assessment is to be completed by all incoming first-year students, and it is highly recommended that you complete the survey prior to starting the fall semester. If you cannot find the email, please use this link.
Beginning Tuesday, July 21, 2020
- If you are bringing a vehicle to campus, register online to obtain a parking permit at permitsales.net/desalesu (Call ext. 1862)
By Friday, July 24, 2020
- Adjust schedule for any A.P. and/or dual enrollment credits as directed by email from the director of the Academic Resource Center. (Call ext 1294)
- Finalize any financing options needed to cover education expenses (i.e. apply for loans and/or establish payment plan). (Call 610-282-3382)
By August 1, 2020
- Required Health Forms completed by your physician and returned to the Wellness Center. If you have misplaced your Health Forms, they can be downloaded from MyDSU. (Call ext. 1776)
- If using student loans, completed Master Promissory Note (MPN) and entrance counseling. studentaid.gov. (Call 610-282-3382)
- Residents only:
By Friday, August 6, 2020
- Payment of your bill and Balance Reconciliation form completed and returned to the Treasurer's Office. (Call 610-282-3382)
By Friday, August 14, 2020
- Complete START (Student Title IX Alcohol and Respect Training) and ALICE (Alert Lockdown Inform Counter Evacuate). Instructions on completing this will be sent to your DSU email in July. (Call ext. 1886)
- Complete contact information through MyDSU under "WebAdvisor for Students," then "Communication."
Class of 2024 August Program
Welcome, Bulldogs! For three fun-filled days, new first-year DeSales undergrads experience an activities-packed schedule.
- August 13 — First Year Student Move In Day
- August 13 - 16 — Orientation Program
- August 17 — First Day of Class
For a look at the full university academic schedule please visit our Academic Calendars.
To get a feel for what we have in store for you during orientation, check out these videos of last year's orientation program:
Transfer Student Orientation
Congratulations and welcome to the DeSales family! We are so excited that you have chosen to continue your college journey with us. We cannot wait to welcome you to our beautiful campus this fall.
Transfer Orientation dates and information will available in the weeks to come! Be sure to keep an eye on this page as well as your DSU email.
Think of Transfer Orientation as your guide to learning everything there is to know about our campus and being a DSU student. Not only will you learn of the many resources offered, you will have the opportunity to meet faculty, staff and fellow students.
Let's not wait until August to start the fun! There are plenty of ways for us to start connecting over the summer before you arrive in August.
First, make sure to follow the many campus offices and departments on Instagram to get a head start in learning what they do and what they offer!
- Student Activities/Campus Activities Board (CAB): @desalescab
- Student Engagement and Leadership Office (SEAL): @desalesseal
- Career Development Center: @dsucareer
- DeSales Campus Environment: @desalesucampus
- Center for Service and Social Justice (CSSJ): @dsuservice
- Wellness Center: @dsuwellnesscenter
- Residence Life: @lifeatdesales
- Academic Resource Center (ARC): @desales_arc
- Veteran Services: @desalesveterans
- Trexler Library: @desales_trexler
- DeSales Dining: @desalesdining
- Athletics: @dsubulldogs
- Student Government Association (SGA): @desalesusga
- DeSales University: @desalesuniversity
- President Fr. Jim Greenfield: @desalesufrjim
Learn about Engage, our online student engagement system that allows you to log in with your DeSales email and password.
What is Engage?
Engage is our online student engagement system that allows you to log in and see upcoming events, join student organizations, and get involved in leadership opportunities on campus.
How do I access Engage?
- Via Computer
- Visit desales.edu
- Click on MyDSU in the upper right corner
- Log in using your DSU email and password
- On the right side under the 'Applications' tab, click 'Engage'
- You will be redirected to Engage where you can set up your profile and preferences, search for events and organizations, and check out all of the amazing opportunities on campus
- Via phone
- Visit the app store and download the free 'Corq' app
- Sign in to get exclusive campus information and event updates
Next, head over to the “Summer Preview” tab on this page.
There will be tons of valuable information for you there including a video campus tour with different offices and departments talking about their services and events offered throughout the year. This will help you get acclimated to the campus before you get here and learn where everything is located. Keep checking back for updated information.
If you have any questions throughout the summer, please feel free to reach out to Andrea Guarino, Assistant Director of Student Engagement and Leadership for Events, at firstname.lastname@example.org. You should receive an email in early August with more specific information about Fall Transfer Orientation.
We can't wait to see you, Bulldogs!
For Parents, Families, and Supporters
Parents, family and friends, thank you for supporting our Bulldogs as they venture into the next chapter of their lives. Below you will find some important links, as well as information about our Parents Association. We look forward to you visiting us!
- Facebook Group for DeSales Parents
- DeSales University Bookstore
- DeSales Gear
- Discover Lehigh Valley
- OCM - Shop for college essentials
2020-2021 Membership Benefits
- Special invitations to exciting campus lectures and events, including the annual Furphy and Marcon lectures.
- 10% discount on select University Bookstore merchandise. Parents will receive discount when they present membership card in person at the bookstore. *excludes textbooks
- Opportunities for special discounts and to pre-register for parent-specific events, including receptions and tickets for our annual Christmas concert and spring performance events, fun trips to Broadway shows, regional amusement parks and sporting events.
- 10% discount at Historic Hotel Bethlehem. Some restrictions apply, please call (800) 607-2384 for more information, and mention DeSales University Family Discount!
- 10% discount on all Family Weekend Events/Homecoming Events – September 27 to 29, 2020
- 10% discounts on ACT 1 and Pennsylvania Shakespeare Festival performances. Subject to availability. Only available via phone or in person at the Box Office. Members must present their ID at the box office to pick up tickets. For more information, call the Labuda Box Office at (610) 282-3192.
- 10% off your DINE-IN bill at the Center Valley Red Robin.
- Discounts on summer athletic camps hosted by DSU coaches. Discounts include $5 off camps fees of up to $50 and/or $10 off camps of $100 or more. When registering, Parents Association members must assign the proper discount and complete the application using their Parents Association membership ID number. In these cases, online registration cannot be accepted.
- Free admission to all regular season home basketball games. Please bring your membership card.
- Special discounts on tickets to the annual DeSales University Dinner Dance. This event has been hosted by the University for more than 30 years.
- Trexler Library privileges. Members can apply for a Trexler Library card free of charge.
- Access to the Parents Association e-Newsletter, which provides helpful information and updates you on what’s happening around campus.
For more information, questions, or concerns about the parents association, please contact Catherine Logan at 610-282-1100, ext. 1789.
What to Bring to Campus
The below lists are suggested items to bring to campus if you are a resident student.
- Clothing appropriate for the season
- Identification (license/photo ID)
- Checkbook/debit/credit card
- Insurance card
- Room safe
- Sports equipment/bicycle/bike lock
Academic (All items available in campus store)
Bedding & Bath (most of these items are available for purchase through our Residence Hall Linens program)
- XL twin sheets
- Egg crate or mattress pad
- Bath towels
- Shower caddy
- First-aid kit/medication
- Hygiene products as needed
- Erasable message board
- Desk lamp or approved torch lmp
- Reusable dishes (microwave safe), glassware, utensils, storage containers
- Refillable water filter pitcher
- Can opener
- Dishwashing liquid/sponge
- Cleaning supplies
- Paper towels/napkins
- Trash can
- Storage crates
- Area rug (6' x 9' or 8' x 10' suggested)
- Coffee pot (single brew w/ auto-shutoff only)
- Refrigerator (5.3 cubic feet or less)**
- Microwave (700 watts or less)**
** Energy efficient combination microwave/refrigerator units can be rented at mymicrofridge.com.
- Laundry bag/hamper
- Detergent/fabric softener
- Drying rack
- Clothes hangers
- Iron w/ auto-shutoff (used only in laundry room)
- Computer, charger, laptop lock (Please review the minimum technology requirements for online learning)
- Ethernet cable (min. 25' in length)
- Printer, paper, ink cartridges
- Music player/speakers (Stereo/MP3)
- TV/coaxial cable (min. 10' in length)—No Roku TVs
- DVD/Blu-ray player
- Video game system
- Alarm clock
- Cell phone/charger
- Power strip(s) with surge protection
- UL approved extension cord(s)
- Removable hanging strips/hooks (3M)
- Blue painter's tape
- Poster tack putty (White only)***
*** Nails, thumb tacks, hooks, and duct tape are discouraged. Students are responsible for holes/marks on walls at end of the year.
PLEASE LEAVE AT HOME
- Pets (other than fish in 10-gallon or smaller tanks)
- candles, incense, halogen lamps
- hot plates, Foreman grills, toasters
- space heaters, or any other appliances with exposed heating elements
- bed risers, over-the-door hangers
- alcohol and drugs
- guns, weapons
- drones, hoverboards
- A full list of prohibited items is available at desales.edu/studenthandbook
ENGAGE A online one stop shop for student involvement, this online platform teaches students how to plan events and manage student organizations. Students can also download the app CORQ for their phone to view all of this information.