Character U and Orientation
It's our pleasure to welcome you to DeSales University, Class of 2025 and transfer students. We are excited and honored for you to join the DeSales University community as you begin your Orientation Program.
This year's orientation kicks off on August 22, at 8am.
Get started with these important items:
University Health Forms
Health Forms have been sent home. If you need another copy, they can be found in Blackboard.
Completed Health Forms can be sent to:
DeSales University Health Center
2755 Station Ave.
Center Valley, PA 18034
For questions, please contact Wendy Kalamar at email@example.com, or 610-282-1100 x1462
First Year Course Survey/Foreign Language/World Cultures Questionnaire
We would appreciate this questionnaire to be completed by June 1, 2021, but we will accept late submissions for students who deposit after June 1, 2021.
For questions about this questionnaire, please contact Ann Koefer at firstname.lastname@example.org, or 610-282-1100 x1294.
Have questions about your schedule, advanced placement, dual enrollment?
Here’s a recording of some Frequently Asked Questions.
Financial Aid Information
- Apply for Parent Plus loans to cover your balance at www.studentaid.gov or private student loans at elmselect.com.
- Access the Financial Aid Checklist via the Webadvisor student portal and accept/reject their Federal Direct Loan once their financial aid packages have been finalized.
- First-time borrowers need to complete MPN and Entrance Counseling if they wish to borrow under the Federal Direct Loan program studentaid.gov.
- Students selected for Verification will need to provide additional information before we can finalize financial aid packages.
- Still have questions? Schedule a Zoom session with financial aid counselors! The counselors can answer questions related to the student’s College Financial Plan and provide guidance on payment and financing options.
Disability Services Information
If you had a 504 Plan or IEP in high school, please contact the Disability Services Office to initiate the process of receiving accommodations.
We work with all students to ensure that they have equitable access to all that campus has to offer. This includes, but is not limited to such disabling conditions as:
- learning disabilities
- psychological/emotional disabilities
- speech and/or hearing impairment
- dietary needs
- injury rehabilitation
- mobility impairment
- visual impairment
If you would like more information regarding disability services and potential accommodations, please contact Carolyn Tiger, 610-282-1100 x1453, or email Carolyn.Tiger@desales.edu.
Class of 2025 and Transfer students:
To prepare for your arrival in August, please visit our online student involvement portal, ENGAGE, for a list of events and programs during the summer of 2021.
Please make sure everything on the following checklist is completed by the deadlines to avoid delays at the check-in process during Orientation in August.
Please note, your fall 2021 class schedule and academic advisor for the upcoming year will be available on August 1, 2021.
*You will soon notice a notification when you log into MyDSU that says that your Health Forms have not been received. This notification is used internally by the University to track Health Forms. When you send your Health Forms in, they are reviewed and processed, and the notification is then removed. Please be patient, as this can take several weeks depending on the volume of forms received. It is also advised that you make a copy of your forms before sending them in. This notification will not affect your ability to complete your other requirements such as housing, financial aid, etc.
Questions? Call 610-282-1100 plus the extension shown.
As soon as possible:
- Begin checking your DeSales University email every day and get familiar with MyDSU and Blackboard. If you have not received your DSU login information, please email email@example.com.
- Complete the 2021-22 First Year Course Survey/World Cultures/Foreign Language Questionnaire. It will be emailed to all deposited students.
- Once you have been assigned a roommate, be sure to get in contact with them.
- If you require of any kind accommodation in the area of academics, dietary, or housing, please contact the Office of Student Accessibility at Carolyn.Tiger@desales.edu. (x1453)
Beginning Monday, May 17, 2021
- Begin the housing application online through MyDSU under “Housing@DSU.” You must complete up to Step 9 to receive a housing selection time slot. (x1425)
Monday, June 7, 2021
- Housing application deadline to select a room. (x1425)
Monday, June 14, 2021
- You will receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org with your housing selection time slot.
Wednesday, June 23 and Thursday, June 24, 2021*
*depending on your housing selection time slot
- Login to MyDSU and go to “Housing@DSU” to complete your housing application and select your room. Select room on Step 10 with the “Room Selection Wizard," then confirm your housing application on Step 11. (x1425)
By Thursday, July 1, 2021
- Student Athletes only: Student athletes must complete additional health forms for the athletic department. (x1848)
- You should have your MPN and Entrance Counseling completed for your loans to show on your tuition bill. (610-282-3382)
Wednesday, July 7, 2021
- Billing will be completed on this date, so expect to have your bills by approximately Saturday, July 17, 2021. (610-282-3382)
- Any loans you are using to cover all or a portion of your balance due should be applied for, approved and processed through the Office of Financial Aid. (610-282-3382 or x1287)
Third Week in July, 2021
- If you are bringing a vehicle to campus, register online to obtain a parking permit at permitsales.net/desalesu. (x1862)
- Registration date TBD
By Saturday, July 24, 2021
- Finalize the Parent Plus loan, private student loans, or monthly payment plans to cover your remaining balance by July 24th. Questions on financing options should call Financial Services at 610-282-3382.
By Sunday, August 1, 2021
- Required Health Forms completed by your physician and returned to the Wellness Center. (x1776) A downloadable pdf is also available on the Blackboard page.
- The Financial Aid Checklist should be completed (located under "Financial Aid" on Webadvisor on the MyDSU portal). Questions call Financial Services at 610-282-3382.
- Residents only
- Review “What to Bring to College” on this page, also available in the DeSales University New Student Guidebook.
- If you have not yet contacted your roommate, be sure to do so as soon as possible.
- Enroll in e2campus, the University’s emergency alert system. (x1513)
- If you haven’t received your Orientation mailing from the Office of Student Engagement and Leadership, please email email@example.com.
By Monday, August 9, 2021
- Payment of your bill, payment plans and Balance Reconciliation form completed and mailed to the Treasurer’s Office. (610-282-3382)
By Friday, August 13, 2021
- Complete contact information through MyDSU under "Webadvisor for Students," then "Communications."
By August 20, 2021
- Complete Title IX, Alcohol, Respect and Safety trainings online. Instructions on completing this will be sent to your DSU email in July. (x1886)
Class of 2025 August Program
Welcome, Bulldogs! For three fun-filled days, new first-year DeSales undergrads experience an activities-packed schedule.
- This year's experience kicks off at 8am on Sunday, August 22, and concludes on Tuesday, August 24.
For a look at the full university academic schedule please visit our Academic Calendars.
To get a feel for what we have in store for you during orientation, check out these videos of previous years' orientation programs:
Transfer Student Orientation
There will be a mandatory orientation held on Monday, August 23 and Tuesday, August 24, 2021, for all incoming resident and commuter transfer students.
This program will guide you to a successful college experience. Over the two days, you will hear from members of our faculty and staff from both Academics and Student Life. You will have time to learn of the resources on campus, meet new people and start building connections.
Transfer students who are living on campus may move-in on Monday, August 23 from 10am to noon. Check in at the Dorothy Day Student Union.
The Orientation for all transfer students will begin in the Labuda Theatre at 2pm. One member of your family, or a guest, is welcome to join you on Monday.
You will be receiving information regarding your DSU Student ID via email in the weeks ahead.
DeSales Main Phone Number: 610-282-1100,
followed by the extensions below:
Before Classes Begin:
- Health Forms completed by your health care provider and returned to the Office of Student Life. (x1232)
Health forms can be found in MyDSU.
- Student Athletes must fill out additional forms. (x1848)
The Athletic Medical Clearances form can be found at Athletics.DeSales.edu.
- Finalize any financing options needed to cover education expenses (i.e. establish loans and/or establish payment plan).
- Payment of your bill and Balance Reconciliation Form completed and mailed to the Treasurer's Office. (610-282-3382)
- Submit any final transcripts to the Admissions Office. (x1424)
- If you are bringing a car to campus, please register your vehicle. (x 1862)
- Update your contact information through MyDSU:
- Log into MyDSU
- Click on User Account to update your contact information and emergency contacts
Click on Webadvisor on the right side
- Sign up for DeSales E2Campus emergency alerts
For Parents, Families, and Supporters
Parents, family and friends, thank you for supporting our Bulldogs as they venture into the next chapter of their lives. Below, you will find some important links, as well as information about our Parents Association. We look forward to you visiting us!
Check back soon for 2021-2022 Membership Benefits
What to Bring to Campus
The below lists are suggested items to bring to campus if you are a resident student.
- Clothing appropriate for the season
- Identification (license/photo ID)
- Checkbook/debit/credit card
- Insurance card
- Room safe
- Sports equipment/bicycle/bike lock
Academic (All items available in campus store)
Bedding & Bath (most of these items are available for purchase through our Residence Hall Linens program)
- XL twin sheets
- Egg crate or mattress pad
- Bath towels
- Shower caddy
- First-aid kit/medication
- Hygiene products as needed
- Erasable message board
- Desk lamp or approved torch lmp
- Reusable dishes (microwave safe), glassware, utensils, storage containers
- Refillable water filter pitcher
- Can opener
- Dishwashing liquid/sponge
- Cleaning supplies
- Paper towels/napkins
- Trash can
- Storage crates
- Area rug (6' x 9' or 8' x 10' suggested)
- Coffee pot (single brew w/ auto-shutoff only)
- Refrigerator (5.3 cubic feet or less)**
- Microwave (700 watts or less)**
** Energy efficient combination microwave/refrigerator units can be rented at mymicrofridge.com.
- Laundry bag/hamper
- Detergent/fabric softener
- Drying rack
- Clothes hangers
- Iron w/ auto-shutoff (used only in laundry room)
- Computer, charger, laptop lock (Please review the minimum technology requirements for online learning)
- Ethernet cable (min. 25' in length)
- Printer, paper, ink cartridges
- Music player/speakers (Stereo/MP3)
- TV/coaxial cable (min. 10' in length)—No Roku TVs
- DVD/Blu-ray player
- Video game system
- Alarm clock
- Cell phone/charger
- Power strip(s) with surge protection
- UL approved extension cord(s)
- Removable hanging strips/hooks (3M)
- Blue painter's tape
- Poster tack putty (White only)***
*** Nails, thumb tacks, hooks, and duct tape are discouraged. Students are responsible for holes/marks on walls at end of the year.
PLEASE LEAVE AT HOME
- Pets (other than fish in 10-gallon or smaller tanks)
- candles, incense, halogen lamps
- hot plates, Foreman grills, toasters
- space heaters, or any other appliances with exposed heating elements
- bed risers, over-the-door hangers
- alcohol and drugs
- guns, weapons
- drones, hoverboards
- A full list of prohibited items is available at desales.edu/studenthandbook
- Financial Aid
- Meal Plans
- Microfridge Rental Information
- Online Learning
- Social Media Directory
- Staff Directory
- Student Handbook
- Student IDs/Paws Pass/Paw Bucks
- Student Resources
- Trexler Library
ENGAGE A online one stop shop for student involvement, this online platform teaches students how to plan events and manage student organizations. Students can also download the app CORQ for their phone to view all of this information.
Instagram Accounts to Follow
- CharacterU Orientation: @dsucharacteru
- Student Activities/Campus Activities Board (CAB): @desalescab
- Student Engagement and Leadership Office (SEAL): @desalesseal
- Career Development Center: @dsucareer
- DeSales Campus Environment: @desalesucampus
- Center for Service and Social Justice (CSSJ): @dsuservice
- Wellness Center: @dsuwellnesscenter
- Residence Life: @lifeatdesales
- Academic Resource Center (ARC): @desales_arc
- Veteran Services: @desalesveterans
- Trexler Library: @desales_trexler
- DeSales Dining: @desalesdining
- Athletics: @dsubulldogs
- Student Government Association (SGA): @desalesusga
- DeSales University: @desalesuniversity
- President Fr. Jim Greenfield: @desalesufrjim
What is Orientation?
The Orientation program provides personal guidance to first year students in their transition to the DeSales University community. Students gain valuable information on the different academic, social, and spiritual opportunities on campus and are welcomed into the first year experience program, Character U. Transfer students are welcome to participate in Character U; Please contact the Orientation team for more information.
What is the Purpose of Orientation?
Orientation is a time for you, as a student, to build Character, a very important experience at DeSales in which you will be a part of the Character U program. This year long program is designed to help you in your transition into the DeSales community from the moment you step foot on campus with the help of our peer mentors.
During Orientation you will be placed in 1 of 8 Pods and compete for the coveted Dog Bowl.