Character U and Orientation
It's our pleasure to welcome you to DeSales University, Class of 2025 and transfer students. We are excited and honored for you to join the DeSales University community as you begin your Orientation Program.
This year’s Orientation begins Sunday, August 22 for the Class of 2025 at 8am and Monday, August 23 for Transfer Students. See "Class of 2025 August Program" and "Transfer Student Orientation" tabs below for more information.
Class of 2025 and Transfer students:
To prepare for your arrival in August, please visit our online student involvement portal, ENGAGE, for a list of events and programs during the summer of 2021.
In-Person Summer Information Sessions
This is your opportunity to come to campus and meet staff members from Academics, Financial Aid, the Bursar’s Office, Residence Life, Commuter Life, Dining (Meal Plans) and the First-Year Experience (Character U and Orientation). The bookstore will be open throughout the day, and some residence halls rooms will be available to tour after 4pm.
These sessions are optional and will be recorded. Recordings will be available on this page.
- Thursday, July 22, from 1pm - 4pm at the DeSales University Center (DUC)
- Thursday, August 5, from 1pm - 4pm at the DeSales University Center (DUC)
Orientation Zoom Check-In Sessions
The Class of 2025 students, parents, families, and supporters are invited to join members of the Orientation Team to learn about updates and ask questions about the upcoming year. All programs will be held via Zoom.
- Tuesday, July 27 – 3:30pm and 7:00pm
- Wednesday, Aug 11 – 3:30pm and 7:00pm
Please make sure everything on the following checklist is completed by the deadlines to avoid delays at the check-in process during Orientation in August.
Please note, your fall 2021 class schedule and academic advisor for the upcoming year will be available on August 1, 2021.
*You will soon notice a notification when you log into MyDSU that says that your Health Forms have not been received. This notification is used internally by the University to track Health Forms. When you send your Health Forms in, they are reviewed and processed, and the notification is then removed. Please be patient, as this can take several weeks depending on the volume of forms received. It is also advised that you make a copy of your forms before sending them in. This notification will not affect your ability to complete your other requirements such as housing, financial aid, etc.
Questions? Call 610-282-1100 plus the extension shown.
As soon as possible:
- Begin checking your DeSales University email every day and get familiar with MyDSU and Blackboard. If you have not received your DSU login information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Complete the 2021-22 First Year Course Survey/World Cultures/Foreign Language Questionnaire. It will be emailed to all deposited students.
- Once you have been assigned a roommate, be sure to get in contact with them.
- If you require of any kind accommodation in the area of academics, dietary, or housing, please contact the Office of Student Accessibility at Carolyn.Tiger@desales.edu. (x1453)
Beginning Monday, May 17, 2021
- Begin the housing application online through MyDSU under “Housing@DSU.” You must complete up to Step 9 to receive a housing selection time slot. (x1425)
Monday, June 7, 2021
- Housing application deadline to select a room. (x1425)
Monday, June 14, 2021
- You will receive an email from email@example.com with your housing selection time slot.
Wednesday, June 23 and Thursday, June 24, 2021*
*depending on your housing selection time slot
- Login to MyDSU and go to “Housing@DSU” to complete your housing application and select your room. Select room on Step 10 with the “Room Selection Wizard," then confirm your housing application on Step 11. (x1425)
By Thursday, July 1, 2021
- Student Athletes only: Student athletes must complete additional health forms for the athletic department. (x1848)
- You should have your MPN and Entrance Counseling completed for your loans to show on your tuition bill. (610-282-3382)
Wednesday, July 7, 2021
- Billing will be completed on this date, so expect to have your bills by approximately Saturday, July 17, 2021. (610-282-3382)
- Any loans you are using to cover all or a portion of your balance due should be applied for, approved and processed through the Office of Financial Aid. (610-282-3382 or x1287)
Third Week in July, 2021
- If you are bringing a vehicle to campus, register online to obtain a parking permit at permitsales.net/desalesu. (x1862)
- Registration date TBD
By Saturday, July 24, 2021
- Finalize the Parent Plus loan, private student loans, or monthly payment plans to cover your remaining balance by July 24th. Questions on financing options should call Financial Services at 610-282-3382.
By Sunday, August 1, 2021
- Required Health Forms completed by your physician and returned to the Wellness Center. (x1776) A downloadable pdf is also available on the Blackboard page.
- The Financial Aid Checklist should be completed (located under "Financial Aid" on Webadvisor on the MyDSU portal). Questions call Financial Services at 610-282-3382.
- Residents only
- Review “What to Bring to College” on this page, also available in the DeSales University New Student Guidebook.
- If you have not yet contacted your roommate, be sure to do so as soon as possible.
- Enroll in e2campus, the University’s emergency alert system. (x1513)
- If you haven’t received your Orientation mailing from the Office of Student Engagement and Leadership, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
By Monday, August 9, 2021
- Payment of your bill, payment plans and Balance Reconciliation form completed and mailed to the Treasurer’s Office. (610-282-3382)
By Friday, August 13, 2021
- Complete contact information through MyDSU under "Webadvisor for Students," then "Communications."
- Sign up for electronic loan notifications.
By August 20, 2021
- Complete Title IX, Alcohol, Respect and Safety trainings online. Instructions on completing this will be sent to your DSU email in July. (x1886)
Class of 2025 August Program
Welcome, Bulldogs! For three fun-filled days, new first-year DeSales undergrads experience an activities-packed schedule.
Sunday, August 22, 2021 Opening Day Schedule
All students should check in at Billera Hall at their designated time!
- Third Floor Conmy and Tocik Hall – 8:00 a.m. – 9:30 a.m.
- Second Floor Conmy, Tocik, and Aviat Hall – 9:30 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
- First Floor Conmy, Tocik, and Aviat Hall – 11:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- Commuter Students – 12:30 p.m. – 1:30 p.m.
*Please note all fall athletes and participants in pre-orientation program Outreach DeSales who are on campus already will check in at the Dorothy Day Student Union from 10:30am – 12pm. Parents, families, and supporters of these two groups are welcome back on campus for Opening Day!
Opening Day will include the following events for students, parents, families, and supporters:
- Prayer Service for the Class of 2025
- Residence Life and Commuter Life meetings
- Welcome Ceremony from the DeSales Community
The Orientation program for the Class of 2025 will continue in the evening of August 22, Monday, August 23, beginning at 8:00 a.m., and Tuesday, August 24, beginning at 8:00 a.m. A full schedule will be emailed to students in August 2021.
All events are subject to change. Any questions please email us at email@example.com
For a look at the full university academic schedule please visit our Academic Calendars.
To get a feel for what we have in store for you during orientation, check out these videos of previous years' orientation programs:
Transfer Student Orientation
There will be a mandatory orientation held on Monday, August 23 and Tuesday, August 24, 2021, for all incoming resident and commuter transfer students.
This program will guide you to a successful college experience. Over the two days, you will hear from members of our faculty and staff from both Academics and Student Life. You will have time to learn of the resources on campus, meet new people and start building connections.
Transfer students who are living on campus may move-in on Monday, August 23 from 10am to noon. Check in at the Dorothy Day Student Union.
The Orientation for all transfer students will begin in the Labuda Theatre at 2pm. One member of your family, or a guest, is welcome to join you on Monday.
You will be receiving information regarding your DSU Student ID via email in the weeks ahead.
DeSales Main Phone Number: 610-282-1100,
followed by the extensions below:
Before Classes Begin:
- Health Forms completed by your health care provider and returned to the Office of Student Life. (x1232)
Health forms can be found in MyDSU.
- Student Athletes must fill out additional forms. (x1848)
The Athletic Medical Clearances form can be found at Athletics.DeSales.edu.
- Finalize any financing options needed to cover education expenses (i.e. establish loans and/or establish payment plan).
- Payment of your bill and Balance Reconciliation Form completed and mailed to the Treasurer's Office. (610-282-3382)
- Submit any final transcripts to the Admissions Office. (x1424)
- If you are bringing a car to campus, please register your vehicle. (x 1862)
- Update your contact information through MyDSU:
- Log into MyDSU
- Click on User Account to update your contact information and emergency contacts
Click on Webadvisor on the right side
- Sign up for DeSales E2Campus emergency alerts
For Parents, Families, and Supporters
Parents, family and friends, thank you for supporting our Bulldogs as they venture into the next chapter of their lives. Below, you will find some important links, as well as information about our Parents Association. Know what's going on at DeSales through these groups designed specifically for parents. Check back regularly for updates, events, and important information. We look forward to you visiting us!
DeSales University Parent & Family Council
The DeSales University Parent & Family Council is a special $1,965 giving society for both current and former parents and guardians.
Council members will get to enjoy the following:
- An on-campus meeting twice a year with President Greenfield as well as DeSales University administrators, faculty, and staff. These meetings will consist of updates happening on campus, forums and open discussions with administrators, as well as networking with other parents.
- Invitation to special events including Furphy and Marcon lectures, our Annual Winter Donor Dinner Lunch, reserved seating at Graduation as well as an additional four tickets.
- Throughout the year, DeSales University will ask Parent Council Members to volunteer and help spread the mission of DSU. This could include writing solicitation letters to parents, working closely with our admissions team to host summer send offs, recruiting more members for Parent’s Council, as well as working closely with our Career Development Center.
- Parent Association Membership Benefits (see below).
DeSales University Parents Association
The DeSales University Parents Association is a special membership based group. For a one-time fee of $50.00, parents will get to enjoy the following over the four years their student is enrolled at DeSales University:
- Special invitations to exciting campus lectures and events, including the annual Furphy and Marcon lectures.
- 10% discount* on select University Bookstore merchandise. Parents will receive discount when they present membership card in person at the bookstore. *excludes textbooks
- 10% discount at Historic Hotel Bethlehem. Some restrictions apply, please call (800) 607-2384 for more information, and mention DeSales University Family Discount.
- Discounted Pricing for Homecoming & Family Weekend – October 12 to 17, 2021
- 10% discounts on ACT 1 and Pennsylvania Shakespeare Festival performances. Subject to availability. Only available via phone or in person at the Box Office. Members must present their ID at the box office to pick up tickets. For more information, call the Labuda Box Office at (610) 282-3192.
- 10% off your DINE-IN bill at the Center Valley Red Robin.
- Discounts on summer athletic camps hosted by DSU coaches. Discounts include $5 off camps fees of up to $50 and/or $10 off camps of $100 or more. When registering, Parents Association members must assign the proper discount and complete the application using their Parents Association membership ID number. In these cases, online registration cannot be accepted.
- Free admission to all& egular season home basketball games.
- Special discounts on tickets to the annual DeSales University Dinner Dance. This event has been hosted by the University for more than 30 years.
- Trexler Library privileges. Members can apply for a Trexler Library card free of charge.
Facebook Group for Parents
Follow our Facebook page to stay up to date on News, Events, and Information!
Save the date for our annual Hearts on Fire Day of Giving
This year's day of giving challenge will be held on February 14, 2022. Learn more about Hearts on Fire
What to Bring to Campus
The below lists are suggested items to bring to campus if you are a resident student.
- Clothing appropriate for the season
- Identification (license/photo ID)
- Checkbook/debit/credit card
- Insurance card
- Room safe
- Sports equipment/bicycle/bike lock
Academic (All items available in campus store)
Bedding & Bath (most of these items are available for purchase through our Residence Hall Linens program)
- XL twin sheets
- Egg crate or mattress pad
- Bath towels
- Shower caddy
- First-aid kit/medication
- Hygiene products as needed
- Erasable message board
- Desk lamp or approved torch lmp
- Reusable dishes (microwave safe), glassware, utensils, storage containers
- Refillable water filter pitcher
- Can opener
- Dishwashing liquid/sponge
- Cleaning supplies
- Paper towels/napkins
- Trash can
- Storage crates
- Area rug (6' x 9' or 8' x 10' suggested)
- Coffee pot (single brew w/ auto-shutoff only)
- Refrigerator (4.7 cubic feet or less)**
- Microwave (700 watts or less)**
** Energy efficient combination microwave/refrigerator units can be rented at mymicrofridge.com.
- Laundry bag/hamper
- Detergent/fabric softener
- Drying rack
- Clothes hangers
- Iron w/ auto-shutoff (used only in laundry room)
- Computer, charger, laptop lock (Please review the minimum technology requirements for online learning)
- Ethernet cable (min. 25' in length)
- Printer, paper, ink cartridges
- Music player/speakers (Stereo/MP3)
- TV/coaxial cable (min. 10' in length)—No Roku TVs
- DVD/Blu-ray player
- Video game system
- Alarm clock
- Cell phone/charger
- Power strip(s) with surge protection
- UL approved extension cord(s)
- Removable hanging strips/hooks (3M)
- Blue painter's tape
- Poster tack putty (White only)***
*** Nails, thumb tacks, hooks, and duct tape are discouraged. Students are responsible for holes/marks on walls at end of the year.
PLEASE LEAVE AT HOME
- Pets (other than fish in 10-gallon or smaller tanks)
- candles, incense, halogen lamps
- hot plates, Foreman grills, toasters
- space heaters, or any other appliances with exposed heating elements
- bed risers, over-the-door hangers
- alcohol and drugs
- guns, weapons
- drones, hoverboards
- A full list of prohibited items is available at desales.edu/studenthandbook
- Financial Aid
- Meal Plans
- Microfridge Rental Information
- Online Learning
- Social Media Directory
- Staff Directory
- Student Handbook
- Student IDs/Paws Pass/Paw Bucks
- Student Resources
- Trexler Library
ENGAGE A online one stop shop for student involvement, this online platform teaches students how to plan events and manage student organizations. Students can also download the app CORQ for their phone to view all of this information.
Instagram Accounts to Follow
- CharacterU Orientation: @dsucharacteru
- Student Activities/Campus Activities Board (CAB): @desalescab
- Student Engagement and Leadership Office (SEAL): @desalesseal
- Career Development Center: @dsucareer
- DeSales Campus Environment: @desalesucampus
- Center for Service and Social Justice (CSSJ): @dsuservice
- Wellness Center: @dsuwellnesscenter
- Residence Life: @lifeatdesales
- Academic Resource Center (ARC): @desales_arc
- Veteran Services: @desalesveterans
- Trexler Library: @desales_trexler
- DeSales Dining: @desalesdining
- Athletics: @dsubulldogs
- Student Government Association (SGA): @desalesusga
- DeSales University: @desalesuniversity
- President Fr. Jim Greenfield: @desalesufrjim
What is Orientation?
The Orientation program provides personal guidance to first year students in their transition to the DeSales University community. Students gain valuable information on the different academic, social, and spiritual opportunities on campus and are welcomed into the first year experience program, Character U. Transfer students are welcome to participate in Character U; Please contact the Orientation team for more information.
What is the Purpose of Orientation?
Orientation is a time for you, as a student, to build Character, a very important experience at DeSales in which you will be a part of the Character U program. This year long program is designed to help you in your transition into the DeSales community from the moment you step foot on campus with the help of our peer mentors.
During Orientation you will be placed in 1 of 8 Pods and compete for the coveted Dog Bowl.