Private Grants & Scholarships
Various private grants and scholarship opportunities can help further offset the cost of your DeSales education. We've assembled a list of helpful resources for your consideration.
You may find the following resources useful in your scholarship search.
- American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN)
- Hispanic Scholarship Fund
- Scholarships and Loans for International Students
- FastWeb! Scholarship Search
- The College Board Fund Finder
- USA Funds Access to Education Scholarships
- Unigo's List of College Scholarships
- Reagan Foundation
- Sallie Mae's List of College Scholarships
- Nursing Scholarships for LGBTQ+ Students
- IntelyCare Healthcare Heroes Scholarship
- The Brian Joseph Lombardi Scholarship
Non-DeSales U. grants and scholarships
The Pennsylvania Society Scholarship Program with the Maguire Foundation
The Maguire Foundation has partnered with The Pennsylvania Society to create a scholarship to assist Pennsylvania high school seniors who plan to enroll in full-time undergraduate study at an accredited, non-proprietary four-year college or university which must be located within the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania for the entire academic year. Awards are eligible for renewal for up to three years or until a bachelor’s degree is earned, whichever occurs first.
If selected as a recipient, the student will receive an annual award of up to $8,000. Up to 25 awards will be granted.
American Association of University Women (AAUW)
AAUW American Fellowships support women (U.S. citizens or permanent residents) scholars who are completing dissertations, planning research leave from accredited institutions, or preparing research for publication.
Applications for AAUW American Fellowships are open August 1 – November 15.
AAUW International Fellowships are awarded for full-time study or research in the United States to women who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents.
Applications for AAUW International Fellowships are open August 1–December 1.
The Lehigh Valley Military Affairs Council Scholarship Program
The LVMAC Scholarship Program target audience is:
- Veterans of working age seeking meaningful first-time civilian employment
- Veterans of working age seeking meaningful reemployment due to job loss
- Children of Veterans
- Children and Un-Remarried Spouses of Service members Killed in Action
- Children of Non-Veterans who will make an active duty service commitment through ROTC
Average Annual Scholarship is $1,000.
Visit LVMAC's website from February 1 through May 31 to apply.
Sterling Law Offices, S.C. Student Scholarship
Deadlines (2): Bi-annual: June 30 and December 31
Eligibility Requirements: Students must be enrolled in post-secondary education full time and have a minimum GPA of 3.0. All majors regardless of class standing are encouraged to apply.
Horatio Alger Honeywell Scholarship Program
Open to current college freshmen studying in the STEM (science, technology, engineering, or math) fields, with a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.0.
Application available is available January 15 - March 15. Visit the Horatio Alger Association website during those dates.
Northampton County Medical Society Alliance Scholarships
Northampton County Medical Society Alliance provides $1000 scholarships to eligible medical, nursing and physician assistant students.
To learn about eligibility criteria and apply, go to http://ncmsa.org/scholarship.
Mensa Foundation's College Scholarship Program
Mensa Foundation's college scholarship program bases its awards totally on essays written by the applicants. Consideration is not given to grades, academic program or financial need.
Application process opens September 15 and closes January 15.
Annual Harris Lowry Manton LLP Civil Justice Scholarship
Eligibility and requirements
To be eligible for the award, applicants must submit the following no later than June 1, 2020.
- Proof of enrollment for the upcoming academic year
- One recommendation from a member of the faculty or staff at the university or school (incoming IL students may submit a letter from a teacher from the previous year)
- An essay of no more than 1,000 words about the importance of the right to a trial by jury
The scholarship will be awarded, and the student notified of his or her selection, prior to August 1, 2020.
Nursing Scholarships for LGBTQ+ Students
Several scholarship opportunities are available for high school seniors, undergraduate students, and graduate students who identify as members of the LGBTQ+ community.
Amounts: varies by scholarship
Deadline: varies by scholarship
For more information: Scholarships for LGBTQ+ Students | NurseJournal.org
Executive Women's International (EWI) Scholarship — Lehigh Valley Chapter
We are pleased that you have made the decision to apply for the Executive Women International (EWI) Scholarship. The Adult Students in Scholastic Transition (ASIST) Scholarship Program helps provide financial support to adult students in a variety of transitional situations. EWI believes that the ASIST Program will positively impact the personal life, employment, family, and community of the applicant.
EWI was founded in 1938 by Lucille J. Perkins to change the roles of women in business and the diverse careers held by our members. We are an international organization with 35 Chapters across the United States and Canada. EWI has been awarding scholarships for over 30 years and awards over $300,000 in scholarships each year through our Chapters and the Corporate Office.
Deadline: March 19, 2022
EWI Lehigh Valley Chapter
Accelerated BSN Scholarships
The Stabler Scholarships - up to $5000 for qualified applicants
Scholarships from the Stabler Grant are a “debt of conscience” in that recipients are asked to “pay it forward” with future donations to the Stabler Grant endowment fund.
The Stabler Scholarship for DeSales Accelerated BSN students is primarily need-based, although academic excellence may also be considered. Qualified applicants can receive up to $5,000.
Donald B. and Dorothy L. Stabler founded this generous scholarship in recognition that many people might not be able to afford higher education without financial assistance. The Stablers believed that those receiving financial aid should recognize an obligation to reciprocate by aiding future students in the future.
The Dr. Carolyn Hollshwandner Scholarship - up to $5000 for qualified applicants
The Dr. Carolyn Hollshwandner Scholarship is primarily a need-based scholarship, although academic excellence may also be considered. Qualified recipients can receive up to $5,000.
This scholarship is named for the founder and long-time nursing department chair at DeSales.
ABSN Scholarship Deadlines and How to Apply
Applications will be accepted starting February 1, 2022.
Applications are due no later than March 15, 2022.
- Decisions regarding the scholarship recipients will be made by the scholarship committee.
- Scholarship money will awarded and divided into four equal amounts to be disbursed over all four academic terms.
- The scholarship money will be awarded per matriculated student based upon demonstrated need and the number of applications submitted. Recipient students will be notified no later than May 19, 2022. A sample of the Stabler Foundation Information handout that is provided when scholarships are awarded is enclosed with this application document for your review.
How to Apply
- Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FASFA) form no later than March 15, 2022.
- Submit an essay which includes the following:
- Why you are applying for the Stabler/Hollschwandner Scholarship
- Describe your financial need (including relocation or housing needs)
- Provide any additional special circumstances that pertain to your need for a scholarship
- Describe how this scholarship will impact your future endeavors in nursing
Send your completed essay as an attachment to:
Subject line: ABSN Scholarships
Include the date of your FASFA submission in the email.
Office of Financial Aid - Here to Help
We'll guide you to make the best choices to fund your education at DeSales University. We can help make your college expenses affordable through a combination of grants, loans, student employment, and scholarship resources.
DeSales Financial Aid Office
610.282.1100, ext. 1287
Monday–Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4:45 p.m.