We are thrilled to celebrate the Class of 2021 with an in-person Commencement Ceremony on Friday, May 21, 2021 at 10AM at the PPL Center in nearby Allentown.
We are committed to hosting an event that honors our graduates and allows them to celebrate with family members in a context that respects the safety guidelines to protect us from the coronavirus.
Because our in-person commencement ceremony has limited seating, we are also producing an exciting virtual commencement ceremony that will be streamed in a way graduates and families can enjoy from the safety and comfort of their choosing.
Need to Know Info
Student Commencement Countdown
✅Step #1 — Apply for Graduation
Your application for graduation must be completed by April 1, 2021 even if you do not plan to walk in the ceremony. This is the process that results in completion of your transcript and the conferring of your degree.
- By April 1: Complete application for graduation on WebAdvisor
- By March 26: Order your cap and gown order your cap and gown from Joston's
Note: any caps and gowns ordered after that date will not be guaranteed receipt by May 21.
If shipping cap and gown to yourself on campus please use:
DeSales BOOKSTORE, 2755 Station Ave, Center Valley, PA 18034
✅Step #2 — Commencement ClearanceTo be cleared to graduate, you must satisfy all obligations to the University. The following must be completed by 12:00 p.m. on Monday, May 10, 2021:
- Business Office
Second floor - Dooling Hall
Payment of any outstanding balances.
- Financial Aid Office
First floor - Dooling Hall
Where appropriate, completion of exit interview.
Return of all books and payment of any outstanding fines.
- Career Development Center
Fill out the First Destination Survey
- Business Office
✅Step #3 — Submit your photo & shout out / favorite quote
Since our in-person commencement ceremony will have limited seating, we’re putting together a special keepsake virtual ceremony to help ALL of your loved ones celebrate your big day!
Submit your photo and a special thank you shout out to someone special or a favorite inspirational quote by April 28, 2021.
Don't have your cap and gown yet?
Take a celebratory selfie using one of our filters to be included on your slide! (Open the following links with your mobile device to enable the filters.)
✅Step #4 — Celebrate at Baccalaureate & Commencement!
Thursday, May 20, 2021 at 5PM
- Commencement Ceremony (In-person)
Friday, May 21, 2021 at 10AM - gates open at 9:15AM
PPL Center 701 Hamilton Street, PA 18101
NOTE: The ticketing email from the PPL Center has been sent to your DSU account with your three guest tickets and parking pass (please check your spam folder). If you have not received the email, please contact: email@example.com by 5/17/21.
- Virtual Ceremony
Posted online following the in-person event
Note: Academic attire is required for Baccalaureate and Commencement
Step #5 — Receive your official diploma!
Diplomas will be mailed to the address provided by students on their application for graduation application approximately six weeks after the ceremony.
Honor Cords PolicyIt is University policy that honor cords are only for students who have been inducted into honor societies. Cords associated with honor societies are given out at honor society inductions; therefore, students are not to purchase any separate cords. Latin honors (summa cum laude/magna cum laude/cum laude) are not designated by any cords; however, they are noted in the Commencement program.
Senior Class Gift
Part of the tradition of graduating is participating in your Senior Class Gift. This act of giving back and strengthening the future of DeSales University is a time-honored tradition since 1965. The Office of Institutional Advancement would like to honor your gift with a special thank you – a Class of 2021 donor pin for you to wear at commencement.
Guests’ Guide to Commencement
- SpringHill Suites Allentown Bethlehem/Center Valley
3800 West Drive, Center Valley, Pennsylvania 18034
Offers free breakfast
- Historic Hotel Bethlehem
437 Main Street, Bethlehem, PA. 18018
- Homewood Suites by Hilton Allentown Bethlehem Center Valley
3350 Center Valley Parkway Center Valley, Pennsylvania, 18034
Offers free breakfast, provides evening appetizers during the week
- Renaissance Allentown Hotel in the PPL Center
12 N 7th Street, Allentown, PA 18101
- SpringHill Suites Allentown Bethlehem/Center Valley
Tickets, Parking, & Designated Entrance Gates
Up to THREE guests are permitted per graduate.
- The PPL Center is employing a pod-seating policy in order to meet the state requirements for strict social distancing
- Each graduate will receive an email to their DeSales student email address from the PPL Center ticketing department containing an individual link for ticket ordering for their three guests
- Graduates must take all the tickets in their pod, even if they don’t fill the seats. There can be no trading or borrowing of tickets/seating from one group to another, and there can be no combining of pods or sitting together, even if the two groups know each other, are family or feel comfortable doing so. The PPL Center is enforcing these guidelines to ensure compliance with state regulations.
- Tickets can be printed or shown on a mobile device. Tickets will only scan once, and per the PPL Center, any guests using a duplicate ticket will be denied entry.
- There is no cost for guest tickets. Graduates do not require a ticket to enter the arena.
- One parking pass per guest pod will be provided
- Graduate/student parking is free of charge
- This event will be live streamed for those unable to attend
Parking & Designated Entrance Gates
*Gates open at 9:15am
Because PPL only has a limited number of spaces, students will be issued one (1) parking pass to be used by the student OR the guest. Additional cars will pay $3.
To allow for proper social distancing, guests will be required to enter at a designated entrance based on their seating location.
Sections 102-105, 203-204 : NJM Gate
Parking at the Spiral Deck (8th & Linden) is recommended
Sections 106-110, 205-210: Air Products Gate
Parking at the Arena Deck, or Spiral Deck is recommended
Sections 111 – 118, 211: WFMZ Gate
Parking at the 6th & Linden Garage (Morning Call Deck) is recommended
Please see "PPL COVID-19 Fan Code of Conduct" section below for additional information.
PPL COVID-19 Fan Code of Conduct
To help ensure your safety, PPL Center requests all guests to comply with the following policies and procedures:
- Nose and mouth coverings will be required at all times with the exception of while guests are actively eating or drinking.
- Clear 12" x 12" x 6" bags, clear one-gallon resealable (Ziploc style) bags, or small clutch bags are required to minimize contact and expedite the security screening process.
- Pods of seats have been strategically set to maintain a proper social distance between guests. While seated, guests must remain within their designed pod and seat, assigned via mobile ticket, at all times.
- Capacity restrictions will be enforced in all elevators (limited to 4) to maintain social distance.
- No large gatherings will be permitted on the concourse or in The Morning Call Club.
- Repeated failure to comply with the COVID-19 Fan Code of Conduct may result in removal from the event.
Enhanced Safety Measures
- Guests will be able to scan their own tickets at the aforementioned entrances using new, state-of-the-art ticket pedestals allowing for contactless entry, with event staff on standby to assist as needed.
- Existing cleaning procedures have been amplified and additional routine sanitizing of all high touch surfaces and areas has been implemented for all events using CDC-recommended disinfectant and electrostatic sprayers.
- PPL Center features a state-of-the-art HVAC system allowing for double filtration and maximum outside air circulation, and utilizing filters of nearly hospital grade that are highly efficient in removing infectious aerosols and virus particles from the air.
- Hand sanitizer stations have been placed at each entrance and throughout the arena for guest use at any time.
- Plexiglass dividers have been installed at all security screening checkpoints, concession stands, merchandise stands, guest services desk, and cashiers.
- Upgraded point-of-sale systems have been installed at all concession and merchandise stands featuring tap-and-go pay options, Apple Pay and Google Pay, to encourage contactless and cashless transactions where possible.
- All restrooms are equipped with touchless sinks, toilets, and soap and paper towel dispensers.
- Floor markers and signage have been placed throughout the arena to remind guests to maintain a safe social distance from one another.
- Smoking and re-entry are prohibited, including previously designated smoking areas.
- For a complete list of venue policies and information, please visit the PPL Center website
Place an Ad in the Yearbook
What better way to honor your student than with an ad in the yearbook? Creating your ad is easy, and can be done from anywhere with our online ad builder.
Here’s how to create the perfect message for your son, your daughter, or your squad:
- Visit the Balfour.com DeSales University Yearbook Ad webpage
- Fill out the first name, last name, and grade fields, then click the "shop for this student" button. (You DO NOT need to enter a yearbook code)
- Choose the size you want to purchase
- Watch this video to learn how to create your ad
- Create an account on Balfour.com
- Look for an email within 1 business day confirming your ad workspace is available
- Log into your Balfour.com account and look under "My Orders" to design your ad
- When you’re ready, choose "Submit Your Ad" to send it to the yearbook staff
Have Questions? Call Balfour at 1-800-944-5930