How to Apply
We're glad you are interested in applying for the Master of Science in Nursing program at DeSales. As part of the application process, we ask that you carefully review these guidelines prior to applying. Please feel free to contact us with any questions.
Two ways to apply
MSN Application Requirements
- Official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate schools attended
- Copy of current RN license
- Two letters of recommendation
- Current résumé or curriculum vitae
- Personal statement
- Official copy of GRE or MAT scores if the applicant's cumulative undergraduate GPA is below 3.0
- For the Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner (AGACNP) track
- Evidence of the equivalent of two (2) years of full-time nursing practice in an adult acute care/ICU specialty area (i.e. medical/surgical ICU, trauma ICU, neuro/neurosurgical ICU, cardiac ICU, open heart unit, burn unit, etc.) within 18 months of application completion.
- Should a prospective student apply to the AGACNP program with less than 2 years of acute care/ICU nursing experience, they will be required to continue their work in the acute care/ICU setting to fulfill the two years of nursing practice experience required to progress through the program.
- All admission to the AGACNP program will be at the discretion of the Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner Program Coordinator.
- For the Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP) track:
- Evidence of the equivalent of 12 months full-time experience as a practicing psychiatric RN within 18 months of application completion.
- If you have less than 2 years of psychiatric nursing experience prior to program acceptance you will be required to continue to work as a psychiatric nurse while in the program.
- All admission to the PMHNP program will be at the discretion of the Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Program Coordinator.
Letters of Recommendation
Two letters of recommendation are required:
- one from a graduate program faculty member or direct supervisor from present employment
- one from a professional colleague
Current Resume/Curriculum Vitae
This should reflect all evidence of professional career achievements, publications, presentations, or other forms of professional scholarship.
Written in narrative format and addresses each of the following:
- Why you chose your intended MSN track
- How this academic program will help you meet your career goals
- Where you see your career 5 years post-graduation
- Additional relevant information that may assist the Committee in the overall evaluation of your application
This statement should be 500 – 750 words in length and demonstrate evidence of strong written communication skills.
Information for Applicants Born Outside of the United States
International applicants (regardless of citizenship) for whom English is a second language must submit English proficiency test scores (TOEFL, iBT, IELTS, or CAE) as part of their application. An official copy of test results must be sent by the testing agency directly to the Nursing Department at DeSales University, 2755 Station Avenue, Center Valley, PA 18034. Visit the following websites for up-to-date information:
- The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- The International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
- The Cambridge English Proficiency (CPE)
* All exams must have been taken within two years of application to a DeSales program.
- All transcripts from any degree-granting institution outside the United States must be evaluated by a NACES approved evaluation service, such as World Education Services, Inc., with the resulting report submitted directly to the address above. Please visit www.naces.org for additional information.DeSales University’s institutional reporting code is 002021
Upon matriculation, students will be required to maintain the following:
- Current professional liability insurance
- Current Healthcare Provider CPR or ACLS certification
- Current criminal background check, child abuse clearance, FBI fingerprinting and drug screening