First Year Experience: Character U
The mission of the Character U Program is to facilitate the adjustment, development, and success of first-year students through the acquisition of Salesian character traits: gentleness, humility, patience, and love of knowledge.
Through Character U, you’ll enjoy a close relationship with a peer mentor who will guide you through your first year. You'll find an instant social group in your "pod" of classmates. You'll learn about yourself in a variety of Character U programming.
Along the way, you'll earn points as you:
- Become inspired at monthly Character U Keynotes. Past speakers include Olympic gymnast Carley Patterson, national wrestling champion Anthony Robles, authors/motivational speakers Terry Caffey and Marcus Engle, 9/11 firefighter Jay Jones, Lt. Col. (Ret.) Barry Bridger, and CIA agent Jimmy Olson.
- Grow your mind with programs offered by the Career Development Center.
- Serve others through the Center for Service and Social Justice.
- Explore your faith through campus ministry and Salesian Center programs and events.
- Cheer your heart out in support of our athletic teams.
- Stay happy and healthy with programs from our PACE peer advising team and the wellness center.
Developing the character trait perseverance is just wonderful. ... There are going to be ups and downs throughout college and I think if you can persevere through them, if you can get past them, then you’re going to be successful. ... Life is all about figuring out ways to get past those speed bumps, those roadblocks.