Fun Facts About the Class of 2024
The Class of 2024 came to campus during a year unlike any other. And for first-year student Hailey Chapple, traveling across the country to attend DeSales was an easy decision.
“I am from Lakewood, California,” says the nursing major. “Coming from a state that is a hot spot for COVID-19 cases, my family and I decided that it was actually safer for me to travel to Pennsylvania than stay at home.”
The Class of 2024 is comprised of 471 first-year students from 15 states, including California, Arizona, Colorado, and New Mexico. Combined with a total of 65 transfer students, DeSales welcomed 536 new faces to campus this fall—including Chapple.
“I am really glad that DeSales brought everyone on campus. Having experienced a fully online course load toward the last leg of my senior year, I realized that going fully online was a struggle for my ability to learn.”
For Derrick Wetzel and the enrollment staff, recruiting students during COVID-19 was extremely challenging without being able to have an in-person Bulldog Bash/Accepted Students Day or tours of campus.
“I think collectively the faculty, staff, and administration did a wonderful job pivoting in a virtual environment to get as many freshman students as we have,” says Wetzel, associate vice president for enrollment management. “As we always say, it’s a team effort. Everyone has chipped in and rallied for this class.”
Some other fun facts about this year’s freshman class:
- 27 percent identify as a student of color or minority.
- 60 percent are female and 40 percent are male.
- The average ACT score is 25.
- The average SAT score is 1130.
- The average GPA is 3.35.
- Six students received the Leadership Scholarship—a full-tuition scholarship awarded to students who have shown outstanding leadership in their high school careers and who plan to continue to develop those skills at DeSales.