ESL Program Specialist Certification and/or TESOL Master’s Degree, Certification , M.Ed.
Looking for a teaching job that's in high demand? Try getting the ESL Program Specialist certification. According to the U.S. Department of Education's Office of English Language Acquisition, the number of students in the United States whose English proficiency is limited has grown by 95% since 1991.
DeSales is proud to offer the ESL Program Specialist Certification, with the approval of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Department of Education. Our faculty are recognized experts in the teaching of English language learners.
Note: ESL Program Specialist certification candidates must hold instructional certification in elementary, secondary, or world languages certification.Upon completion of the ESL Program Specialist Certification program, you may continue towards your master’s degree in TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages.)
Admissions to the M.Ed. programs are evaluated on a rolling basis.
Application Checklist Items
- Application Fee: $50
- Standardized Exam Required: No
- Official Transcripts Required: Yes
- Personal Statement Required: Yes
- Letters of Recommendation: 1 Required
- Resume Required: Graduate Program in Higher Education only
- Copy of teaching certificate, if applicable
- English Competency Exam Required: TOEFL
- Transcript Evaluation Required: Yes
- Certificate of Finances Required: Yes
The certification program consists of five three-credit courses first:
- ED 515 Foundations of English Language Learners
- ES 535 Language and Literacy Acquisition of English Language Learners
- ES 540 Applied Linguistics for Language Learning
- ES 536 EL Assessment, Data and Instruction Modification
- ES 538 Instructional Practices for EL Classrooms
Then choose one of the following:
- ES 5530 Clinical Instructional Practices for EL Classrooms (1cr)
- ES 554 Clinical Practicum in English Language Teaching (3cr; required course for M.Ed. in TESOL)
M.Ed. Degree Courses | 15 credits for degree
- ES 570 Technology and English Learners | 3 credits
- ED 528 Data Driven Assessment and Instruction | 3 credits
- ED 504 Philosophy & Ethics in Education | 3 credits
- ED 501 Educational Research | 3 credits
- ED 600 Critical Issues and Research Seminar (Capstone Course) | 3 credits
Call 610.282.1100, ext. 1461, to schedule your personal advising session.
* Any exceptions must be approved in writing by the Program Coordinator.
Technology-Rich Curriculum: DeSales University Teacher Education has received a special designation from the Pennsylvania Department of Education for industry-leading technology integration in our teacher education programs.
Transferable Certification to Other States: Pennsylvania mandates rigorous, clear, teacher certification standards that make Pennsylvania certification easily transferable to other states. For additional detail on individual state certification requirements, refer to the state of choice.
'Flex' Classrooms: DeSales has 10 classrooms and four mobile units specifically configured for the 'Flex' class format, for both in-class and online students. The flex classrooms utilize additional video monitors and webcams to fully incorporate and engage online students into the live class session.
Education Resource Lab
Students of DeSales education programs benefit from having access to the Department of Education's Resource Lab. The Lab is a convenient space where students gather to discuss topics, research, study, and work together on group projects. All the resources needed — computers, art supplies, research library texts, and more — are available to assist education students with their academic pursuits
Tuition & Fees
- Tuition/credit hour: $550
- Application Fee: $50
- Instructional Technology Fee: $10/credit included in tuition
- Internship/Practicum Fee: $325
- Student Teaching Fee: $650
- Certificate Fee: $40
- Graduation Fee: $120
- Returned Check Service: $30
- Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) fee – 30% of course tuition charge
DeSales University offers graduate students the opportunity to defer payment of their tuition when they will be receiving reimbursement from their employer or when they are eligible to receive financial aid. A copy of your employer's tuition reimbursement policy must be forwarded to the Treasurer's Office and/or all necessary financial aid paperwork must be filed with the Financial Aid Office before tuition deferment is granted.
Tuition deferment is a privilege given to graduate students at DeSales and can be revoked if this privilege is abused. Please note that you, as the student, are responsible for payment of your tuition balance in the event that your financial aid/loans or employer reimbursement is not received by the Treasurer's Office.
When a student is eligible for tuition reimbursement from his/her employer, written evidence of eligibility is required. The student is responsible for requesting this reimbursement from his/her employer. In cases where reimbursement is contingent upon successful completion of the course(s) and the student either withdraws or does not achieve a grade sufficient to warrant maximum reimbursement, the student is ultimately responsible for payment for the course(s).
Refund on Withdrawal
A refund of tuition payments will be made to a student who withdraws from a course. In all cases, credits will be calculated from the date the student completed the official withdrawal form, and the rebate will be based on the schedule shown listed below.
Refunds apply to tuition only. If a student is allowed to enroll by use of the deferred payment procedure, any funds due the University are immediately due and payable upon withdrawal.
Withdrawal during the add/drop period is 100% of tuition refunded. The schedule below is for withdrawal after the first class after the close of the add/drop period.
Withdrawal after 1st class: 80% of tuition refunded
Withdrawal after 2nd class: 65% of tuition refunded
Withdrawal after 3rd class: 50% of tuition refunded
Withdrawal after 4th class: 25% of tuition refunded
Withdrawal after 5th class: No refund
Weekend and Accelerated Courses
No refund is made after the course has begun.
- No refund is made after the course has begun.