DeSales‘ Year in Review: 18 for 2018
“The beginning of good things is good; the progress, better; the end, best.”
The countdown to 2019 is on, and DeSales is looking back at some of the most popular stories of the year. From the Special Olympics to Father Greenfield’s inauguration, these stories show what it means to “be who you are and be that well.”
- Ed Lloyd ’77: Not Your Average Philadelphia Eagles Fan
Ed Lloyd’s store—Lloyd Sixsmith Sporting Goods—is a staple in Northeast Philadelphia that provides uniforms and equipment to athletes of all ages. It also supplies equipment and other goods to the Super Bowl champions.
- Welcome to Campus, Class of 2022
It was another fun and exciting move-in day as we welcomed the Class of 2022 to campus on Sunday, August 20. This year's orientation theme was On a Mission: Character Edition.
- DeSales nursing graduates have done it again!
The Class of 2018 earned a 98.06% pass rate on the NCLEX-RN—the highest pass rate in the nursing department’s history!
- Physician Assistant Graduates Earn Perfect Pass Rate on National Exam
The Physician Assistant program is once again boasting a 100 percent first-time pass rate on the Physician Assistant National Certifying Examination (PANCE)!
- “I know that I will never forget you the students; you are my family.” - Dr. John “Coach” Compardo
Widely recognized as the Father of Athletics, Dr. John “Coach” Compardo passed away on January 31 at the age of 97.
- Father James Greenfield’s Inauguration / First Day on Campus
DeSales ushered in a new era on April 4 with the inauguration of Fr. Greenfield, OSFS '84, Ed.D. as its fourth president.
- Congratulations Class of 2018!
Hundreds of people braved the rain and packed into Billera Hall on May 19 to celebrate DeSales University's 50th commencement.
- Six Students Win Coveted Leadership Scholarship
The Leadership Scholarship is offered to six students who have shown outstanding leadership in their high school careers and who plan to continue to develop those skills at DeSales. Michael Heck’s life-saving Eagle Scout project helped make him one of this year’s winners.
Bro. Dan Wisniewski, OSFS, Named New Provost
DeSales welcomed Bro. Dan Wisniewski, OSFS, as its new provost and we congratulate all of the faculty members who made headlines for their great accomplishments this year.
- DeSales Hosts Special Olympics Pennsylvania Eastern Fall Sectional
Hundreds of athletes converged on campus to compete in the Special Olympics Pennsylvania Eastern Fall Sectional—the largest service event in the University’s history.
- DeSales Announces Dr. Caroline Hollshwandner Day
DeSales hosted a special celebration to help Dr. Caroline Hollshwandner, founder and longtime chair of the nursing program, mark a very important milestone—her 100th birthday.
- Decking the Hallowed Halls of DeSales: IDEAS Club Flips the Switch on New Holiday Tradition
The DeSales community kicked off the holiday season with a new Christmas tradition—a tree lighting ceremony outside the Gambet Center.
- U.S. News and World Report Ranks DeSales 55th in the North
DeSales ranked 55th among regional universities in the north for 2019, up from 64th in 2018. We also ranked 43rd in the north as a best value school!
- Congratulations, Phoenix! DeSales Grad Stars in ‘Les Miserables’ Tour in Philadelphia
Phoenix Best starred as Eponine in the touring production of ‘Les Miserables’ at the Pennsylvania Academy of Music in Philadelphia.
- Fifty-Four Students Inducted into The National Society of Leadership and Success
Fifty-four DeSales students are part of the nation's largest leadership honor society. To join, students must be selected by someone on campus based on their leadership and involvement in campus activities.
- DeSales Hosts Inaugural 2018 Fleming High School Ethics Bowl
Nine teams from eight area schools competed in the inaugural 2018 Fleming High School Ethics Bowl Competition. Northampton Area High School took home the top trophy and a $2,000 prize in the event.
- Step Inside DeSales’ Mock Crime Scene House
In a sleepy stone house on a quiet, rural street just south of campus, DeSales criminal justice students are about to walk into a murder scene. Or a terrorist threat. Or a national disaster.
DeSales Students Build Computer Room for Casa Guadalupe
Underprivileged kids in the Lehigh Valley have new technology at their fingertips, thanks to dozens of dedicated DeSales students. Approximately 50 students built a new computer room at Casa Guadalupe, a non-profit, community-based organization that provides a range of services to residents in the Lehigh Valley.