Secondary Education Masters and Certification Program for Career Seekers, Certification , M.Ed.
Begin a new career as a teacherDo you have an undergraduate degree in the fields of biology, chemistry, communications, English, mathematics, social science, social studies/history, Spanish, French, or any related major? If so, you could complete your certification courses and requirements in just over a year. Our streamlined program includes one full-time residency semester.
Admissions to the M.Ed. programs are evaluated on a rolling basis.
Application Checklist Items
- Application Fee: $50
- Standardized Exam Required: No
- Official Transcripts Required: Yes
- Personal Statement Required: Yes
- Letters of Recommendation: 1 Required
- Resume Required: Graduate Program in Higher Education only
- Copy of teaching certificate, if applicable
- English Competency Exam Required: TOEFL
- Transcript Evaluation Required: Yes
- Certificate of Finances Required: Yes
Educational Foundations | 6 credits for certification and degree with certification
- ED 500 Foundations of Education | 3 credits
- ED 502 Advanced Psychology of Instruction | 3 credits
Accommodations and Adaptations | 12 credits for certification
- ED 515 Foundations of English Language Learner Education | 3 credits
- SE 500 Foundations of Special Education | 3 credits
- SE 522 Remedial Techniques in Reading and Writing | 3 credits
- SE 526 Content Access for Students with Learning Differences | 3 credits
- SC 518 The Middle and Secondary Curriculum
- SC 519 Secondary Education Principles and Pedagogy | 3 credits
- SC 5220 Secondary Education Clinical Field Experience | 1 credit
*SC 519 and SC 5220 (90 hours) are to be taken together
- SC 524 Secondary Education in Subject Area (4 weeks) l 3 credits
- SC 525 Secondary Education Clinical Field Practicum (80 hours) | 3 credits
*SC 524 (4 weeks) and SC 525 (80 hours) are to be taken together
- SC 550 Pre-Service Teaching in Secondary Education: Professionalism & Classroom | 6 credits
- SC 551 Pre-Service Teaching in Secondary Education: Planning & Instruction | 6 credits
M.Ed. Degree Courses | 12 credits for degree
- ED 528 Data Driving Assessment and Instruction | 3 credits
- ED 504 Philosophy & Ethics in Education | 3 credits
- ED 501 Educational Research | 3 credits
- ED 600 Critical Issues and Research Seminar (Capstone Course) | 3 credits
Technology-Rich Curriculum: DeSales University Teacher Education has received a special designation from the Pennsylvania Department of Education for industry-leading technology integration in our teacher education programs.
Transferable Certification to Other States: Pennsylvania mandates rigorous, clear, teacher certification standards that make Pennsylvania certification easily transferable to other states. For additional detail on individual state certification requirements, refer to the state of choice.
'Flex' Classrooms: DeSales has 10 classrooms and four mobile units specifically configured for the 'Flex' class format, for both in-class and online students. The flex classrooms utilize additional video monitors and webcams to fully incorporate and engage online students into the live class session.
Education Resource Lab
Students of DeSales education programs benefit from having access to the Department of Education's Resource Lab. The Lab is a convenient space where students gather to discuss topics, research, study, and work together on group projects. All the resources needed — computers, art supplies, research library texts, and more — are available to assist education students with their academic pursuits
Tuition & Fees
- Tuition/credit hour: $550
- Application Fee: $50
- Instructional Technology Fee: $10/credit included in tuition
- Internship/Practicum Fee: $325
- Student Teaching Fee: $650
- Certificate Fee: $40
- Graduation Fee: $120
- Returned Check Service: $30
- Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) fee – 30% of course tuition charge
DeSales University offers graduate students the opportunity to defer payment of their tuition when they will be receiving reimbursement from their employer or when they are eligible to receive financial aid. A copy of your employer's tuition reimbursement policy must be forwarded to the Treasurer's Office and/or all necessary financial aid paperwork must be filed with the Financial Aid Office before tuition deferment is granted.
Tuition deferment is a privilege given to graduate students at DeSales and can be revoked if this privilege is abused. Please note that you, as the student, are responsible for payment of your tuition balance in the event that your financial aid/loans or employer reimbursement is not received by the Treasurer's Office.
When a student is eligible for tuition reimbursement from his/her employer, written evidence of eligibility is required. The student is responsible for requesting this reimbursement from his/her employer. In cases where reimbursement is contingent upon successful completion of the course(s) and the student either withdraws or does not achieve a grade sufficient to warrant maximum reimbursement, the student is ultimately responsible for payment for the course(s).
Refund on Withdrawal
A refund of tuition payments will be made to a student who withdraws from a course. In all cases, credits will be calculated from the date the student completed the official withdrawal form, and the rebate will be based on the schedule shown listed below.
Refunds apply to tuition only. If a student is allowed to enroll by use of the deferred payment procedure, any funds due the University are immediately due and payable upon withdrawal.
Withdrawal during the add/drop period is 100% of tuition refunded. The schedule below is for withdrawal after the first class after the close of the add/drop period.
Withdrawal after 1st class: 80% of tuition refunded
Withdrawal after 2nd class: 65% of tuition refunded
Withdrawal after 3rd class: 50% of tuition refunded
Withdrawal after 4th class: 25% of tuition refunded
Withdrawal after 5th class: No refund
Weekend and Accelerated Courses
No refund is made after the course has begun.
- No refund is made after the course has begun.
Online Learning at DeSales
Blackboard Learn™ is our online learning system.