Post-Graduate Nurse Practitioner Certification (FNP, A-GACNP, or PMHNP), Certification
Nurses who hold a graduate degree in nursing can apply to the FNP, A-GACNP, or PMHNP Post-Graduate Certificate program.
- Upon acceptance, the FNP, A-GACNP, or PMHNP Director will complete a Gap Analysis to evaluate prior education and practice (as applicable) in order to determine an individual plan of study*.
- The completion of required didactic courses and clinical hours will depend upon waived credits and/or clinical hours.
- Depending upon the number of courses transferred in, Certification as a Family, Adult-Gerontology Acute Care, or Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurse Practitioner may be completed in one year.
- Students must satisfy the required credit and course requirements for the FNP, A-GACNP, or PMHNP Program of study via graduate courses taken at DeSales University.
- Post-Graduate certificate graduates are eligible to take the FNP, A-GACNP, or PMHNP national certification examination offered through the ANCC or AANP.
* In accordance with the 2012 Criteria for Evaluation of Nurse Practitioner Programs
MSN Admissions Requirements
- Baccalaureate degree in nursing from an ACEN or CCNE accredited institution with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale.
- An active registered nurse license or eligibility for licensure in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. New Jersey licensure as a registered nurse is also required prior to beginning the clinical sequence for all MSN programs.
- Evidence of the equivalent of 12 months full-time nursing practice within the last three (3) years
- For the Post-Graduate Certification Programs, evidence of a minimum of one (1) year of experience as a practicing licensed registered nurse within the past two (2) years
*For applicants who do not meet the minimum GPA requirement, completion of the GRE or MAT will be required to be considered for admission to the program
*International applicants (regardless of citizenship) for whom English is a second language must submit English proficiency test scores (TOEFL, iBT, IELTS, or CAE) as part of their application. An official copy of test results must be sent by the testing agency directly to the Division of Nursing at DeSales University, 2755 Station Avenue, Center Valley, PA 18034. Visit the following websites for up-to-date information:
- The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- The International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
- The Cambridge English Proficiency (CPE)
* All exams must have been taken within two years of application to a DeSales program.
Nurse Practitioner applicants are admitted twice a year as per the following deadlines:
- The deadline is August 31 for an April (Spring semester) start
- The deadline is February 28 for an August (Fall semester) start
Additional admission requirements for a Post-Graduate Certificate program:
- Meeting the admissions requirements to the MSN program.
- Official documentation of the completion of an MSN or its equivalent from an ACEN or CCNE accredited institution.
- Minimum of one-year experience as a practicing licensed registered nurse within the past two years.
Depending upon the number of courses transferred in, Certification as a Family, Adult-Gerontology Acute Care, or Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurse Practitioner may be completed in one year.
An individual plan of study will be completed by the FNP, A-GACNP, or PMHNP Coordinator upon acceptance based on the completed Gap Analysis. Students must satisfy the required credit and course requirements for the FNP, A-GACNP, or PMHNP Program of study via graduate courses taken at DeSales University.
Post-Graduate Nurse Practitioner Certificate Program Summary
- 5-11 Courses
- 23-41 Credits
- 500 minimum clinical hours (including hours factored in from Gap Analysis)
Tuition & Fees
Tuition and fees for the Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) are as follows.
- Tuition/credit hour: $885
- Application Fee: $50
- Re-admission Fee: $50
- Graduation Fee: $120
- Laboratory Fee*: $250
- Returned Check Service: $30
*Laboratory fees are due on registration for: NU 551, NU 552, NU 553, NU 622, NU 625, NU 711, NU 712, NU 713, NU 715, NU 717, NU 719, NU 729, NU 731, NU 735, NU 737, NU 739, NU 742, NU 743, NU 744
DeSales University offers graduate students the opportunity to defer payment of their tuition when they will be receiving reimbursement from their employer or when they are eligible to receive financial aid. A copy of your employer's tuition reimbursement policy must be forwarded to the Treasurer's Office and/or all necessary financial aid paperwork must be filed with the Financial Aid Office before tuition deferment is granted.
Tuition deferment is a privilege given to graduate students at DeSales and can be revoked if this privilege is abused. Please note that you, as the student, are responsible for payment of your tuition balance in the event that your financial aid/loans or employer reimbursement is not received by the Treasurer's Office.
When a student is eligible for tuition reimbursement from his/her employer, written evidence of eligibility is required. The student is responsible for requesting this reimbursement from his/her employer. In cases where reimbursement is contingent upon successful completion of the course(s) and the student either withdraws or does not achieve a grade sufficient to warrant maximum reimbursement, the student is ultimately responsible for payment for the course(s).
Refund on Withdrawal
A refund of tuition payments will be made to a student who withdraws from a course. In all cases, credits will be calculated from the date the student completed the official withdrawal form, and the rebate will be based on the schedule shown below.
Refunds apply to tuition only. If a student is allowed to enroll by use of the deferred payment procedure, any funds due the University are immediately due and payable upon withdrawal.
Withdrawal during the add/drop period is 100% of tuition refunded. The schedule below is for withdrawal after the first class after the close of the add/drop period.
The refund policy is based upon the number of classes held up to
the date of withdrawal.
- Withdrawal after 1st class: 80% of tuition refunded
- Withdrawal after 2nd class: 65% of tuition refunded
- Withdrawal after 3rd class: 50% of tuition refunded
- Withdrawal after 4th class: 25% of tuition refunded
- >Withdrawal after 5th class: No refund
Available Scholarship Opportunities
- Johnson & Johnson Nursing
- National Health Service Corps Scholarships Program
- National Black Nurse Association
- National Association of Hispanic Nurses
- Nursing Scholarships
- Oncology Nursing Society Foundation
- AACN Scholarships
- Nursing & Nurse Practitioner Scholarships
- Nurses Educational Funds
- American Cancer Society
- Scholarships for Doctor of Nursing Practice
The baccalaureate degree program in nursing, master’s degree program in nursing, Doctor of Nursing Practice program, and post-graduate APRN certificate programs at DeSales University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.ccneaccreditation.org).