Post-Master's Certificate in Nursing Informatics with MSIS in Data Analytics, Certificate
Nurses who hold a graduate degree in nursing can apply to the Post-Master's in Nursing Informatics Certificate Program with MSIS in Data Analytics.
- Upon acceptance, the Program Director will complete a Gap Analysis to evaluate prior education and practice (as applicable) in order to determine an individual course of study. The completion of required didactic courses and clinical hours will depend upon waived credits and/or clinical hours.
- Depending upon the number of courses transferred in, Certification in Nursing Informatics and MSIS in Data Analytics may be completed in approximately two years.
- Students must satisfy the required credit and course requirements for the MSN in Nursing Informatics Program of study via graduate courses taken at DeSales University.
Post-Master's certificate graduates are eligible to take the Nursing Informatics certification through the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC).
MSN Admissions Requirements
- Baccalaureate degree in nursing from an ACEN or CCNE accredited institution with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale.
- An active registered nurse license or eligibility for licensure in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. New Jersey licensure as a registered nurse is also required prior to beginning the clinical sequence for all MSN programs.
- Evidence of the equivalent of 12 months full-time nursing practice within the last three (3) years
- For the Post-Graduate Certification Programs, evidence of a minimum of one (1) year of experience as a practicing licensed registered nurse within the past two (2) years
*For applicants who do not meet the minimum GPA requirement, completion of the GRE or MAT will be required to be considered for admission to the program
*International applicants (regardless of citizenship) for whom English is a second language must submit English proficiency test scores (TOEFL, iBT, IELTS, or CAE) as part of their application. An official copy of test results must be sent by the testing agency directly to the Division of Nursing at DeSales University, 2755 Station Avenue, Center Valley, PA 18034. Visit the following websites for up-to-date information:
- The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- The International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
- The Cambridge English Proficiency (CPE)
* All exams must have been taken within two years of application to a DeSales program.
MSN degree applicants are admitted on a rolling basis up until the following deadlines:
- The deadline is May 15 for a July (Summer semester) start
- The deadline is June 15 for an August (Fall semester) start
- The deadline is November 15 for a January (Winter semester) start
- The deadline is February 15 for an April (Spring semester) start
The admission process and entrance requirements are rigorous; demonstrating minimum admission requirements does not guarantee acceptance into the MSN program.
Additional admission requirements for a Post-Master's Certificate program:
- Meeting the admissions requirements to the MSN program.
- Official documentation of the completion of an MSN or its equivalent from an ACEN or CCNE accredited institution.
- Minimum of one-year experience as a practicing licensed registered nurse within the past two years.
In addition to meeting the admissions requirements to the MSN program, the admission requirements for the MSN/MSIS Dual Degree in Data Analytics program include:
- Meeting the admissions requirements to the MSIS program
- Completing the necessary online applications to both the MSN and MSIS programs, uploading all supplemental items to the MSN application.
Depending upon the number of courses transferred in, Certification in Nursing Informatics with MSIS in Data Analytics may be completed in two years.
An individual plan of study will be completed by the Program Coordinator upon acceptance based on the completed Gap Analysis. Students must satisfy the required credit and course requirements for the Nursing Informatics Program of study via graduate courses taken at DeSales University.
Post-Master's Nursing Informatics Certificate/MSIS in Data Analytics Program Summary
- 10-12 Courses
- 32-38 Credits
- 450 minimum clinical hours (including hours factored in from Gap Analysis)
DeSales University is home to some of the most advanced simulation technology in a university setting.
Simulation captures the key characteristics and behaviors of real life clinical events and gives students the opportunity to practice clinical skills, repeat procedures, fine-tune processes, and observe the impact of their choices — all without harm to patients.
The DeSales family of Human Patient Simulators (HPS)
HPS, also known as high-fidelity manikins, are life-like models of the human body with software/computer equipment components to mimic human bodily functions. The HSC maintains several HPSs, including a pregnant mother and new-born infant.
Clinical Skills Lab
Our clinical skills suite provides both a 12 bed in-patient and a 12 bed out-patient practice environment. Students can practice a wide variety of clinical skills with low fidelity mannequins. Task Trainers help students gain expertise in technical procedures and clinical skills such as foley catheter placement or pelvic examination for undergraduate students and more advanced skills such as central line placement or peripheral IV insertion, for our graduate students.
Standardized Patient Program
This on-campus suite replicates a functioning healthcare office, complete with a waiting room, and 8 fully equipped examination rooms. Standardized Patients are real people who are specially-trained to portray different patient scenarios, where they are treated as real patients by DeSales students. They actively participate in the instruction, practice, and assessment of the physical examination skills of our students, nurses, and physician assistants. Become a standardized patient
Our Education Management Solutions, Inc. system (EMS) provides a comprehensive solution for the labs;. Digital AV software and hardware allow faculty to capture both the simulations and standardized patient environments for further review. The results provide a digital video record of individual and team performance, which assist in evaluating a student’s performance when faced with realistic clinical challenges.
Careers & Internships
Data Analytics is one of the fastest growing niche fields for nurses across the US.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (2019), the job market in the data analytics field is expected to grow by 12% between 2018 and 2028, a rate that is faster than average. A Post-Graduate Certificate in Nursing Informatics with MSIS in Data Analytics will prepare students for positions that include:
- Data manager or consultant
- Data architect
- Quantitative analyst
- Healthcare data analyst
- Clinical decision analyst
- Clinical decision support leader
- Nurse Informaticist
Tuition & Fees
Tuition and fees for the Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) are as follows.
- Tuition/credit hour: $945*
- Laboratory Fee: $250**
- Returned Check Service: $30
- Graduation Fee: $120
*Tuition/credit hours listed are for 2023/2024 academic year. Tuition and fees are reviewed each academic year and are subject to change with notice.
**Average cost. Laboratory fees are due on registration.
DeSales University offers graduate students the opportunity to defer payment of their tuition when they will be receiving reimbursement from their employer or when they are eligible to receive financial aid. A copy of your employer's tuition reimbursement policy must be forwarded to the Treasurer's Office and/or all necessary financial aid paperwork must be filed with the Financial Aid Office before tuition deferment is granted.
Tuition deferment is a privilege given to graduate students at DeSales and can be revoked if this privilege is abused. Please note that you, as the student, are responsible for payment of your tuition balance in the event that your financial aid/loans or employer reimbursement is not received by the Treasurer's Office.
When a student is eligible for tuition reimbursement from his/her employer, written evidence of eligibility is required. The student is responsible for requesting this reimbursement from his/her employer. In cases where reimbursement is contingent upon successful completion of the course(s) and the student either withdraws or does not achieve a grade sufficient to warrant maximum reimbursement, the student is ultimately responsible for payment for the course(s).
Refund on Withdrawal
A refund of tuition payments will be made to a student who withdraws from a course. In all cases, credits will be calculated from the date the student completed the official withdrawal form, and the rebate will be based on the schedule shown below.
Refunds apply to tuition only. If a student is allowed to enroll by use of the deferred payment procedure, any funds due the University are immediately due and payable upon withdrawal.
Withdrawal during the add/drop period is 100% of tuition refunded. The schedule below is for withdrawal after the first class after the close of the add/drop period.
The refund policy is based upon the number of classes held up to
the date of withdrawal.
- Withdrawal after 1st class: 80% of tuition refunded
- Withdrawal after 2nd class: 65% of tuition refunded
- Withdrawal after 3rd class: 50% of tuition refunded
- Withdrawal after 4th class: 25% of tuition refunded
- >Withdrawal after 5th class: No refund
Available Scholarship Opportunities
- Johnson & Johnson Nursing
- National Health Service Corps Scholarships Program
- National Black Nurse Association
- National Association of Hispanic Nurses
- Nursing Scholarships
- Oncology Nursing Society Foundation
- AACN Scholarships
- Nursing & Nurse Practitioner Scholarships
- Nurses Educational Funds
- American Cancer Society
- Scholarships for Doctor of Nursing Practice
Veteran & Military Student Discount Program
Beginning Spring of 2023, DeSales University will match the Federal Military Tuition Assistance Program (T.A.) of $250/credit, or $750 for a three-credit course. The TA match discount program will be available to students who are currently serving on military active duty, National Guard, Reserve service members, and to eligible spouses or dependents. Adult Studies students eligible for TA match discount program will receive a combined $1,500 course credit against an approximately $1,600 course cost.
*Veteran & Military discount match is not applicable for the Accelerated BSN program nor combinable with additional DeSales University discount offerings.
The baccalaureate degree program in nursing, master’s degree program in nursing, Doctor of Nursing Practice program, and post-graduate APRN certificate programs at DeSales University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.ccneaccreditation.org).