Master of Science in Information Systems (MSIS), MSIS
The DeSales MSIS degree is a combination of managerial and technological skill building.
Choose from five areas of concentration for the MSIS degree:
- Data Analytics
- Digital Forensics
- Cyber Security
- Healthcare Information Management
- Project Management
Designed for busy professionals, the DeSales MSIS degree will help you start a new career in information systems or advance within your field. Our instructors have professional experience and understand the needs of industry and working adults.
Instruction is a combination of interactive lecture, hands-on experience, real world case studies, group work, and research. With four graduate sessions per year, you have the option to attend classes in the classroom, online, and in a hybrid format.
What’s Different About DeSales?
- Our faculty are working professionals. You’ll be taught by professionally active advanced practice faculty who connect textbook theory with real-world application of tools, processes and methodologies.
- You can choose from the flexibility of online, in-classroom or hybrid course options and attend full- or part-time.
- You can choose the program that will best fit into your life. We offer multiple start dates per year, so your education doesn’t have to wait.
Candidates for the DeSales MSIS program must have earned a bachelor's degree in a computer related discipline from an accredited US institution with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 (B).
Applicants who have not earned a computer-related degree and/or who lack related coursework may be eligible for ‘provisional’ admission to the program. Provisional admission simply requires the completion of one or two additional foundational courses as part of your plan of study.
Transcripts are reviewed on an on-going basis and accepted students may begin at the next available session.
- Candidates who completed a degree outside of the US are considered upon review of an official transcript evaluation from a member of NACES. An international applicant with a degree awarded as the result of studies less than four years must show proof that such degree is equivalent with a comparable four-year long US study.
- Application Fee: $50
- Deadline: Rolling
- Standardized Exam Required: No
- Official Transcripts Required: Yes
- Personal Statement Required: Yes
- Letters of Recommendation: 3 Required
- Resume Required: Yes
- English Competency Exam Required: TOEFL & GRE
- Transcript Evaluation Required: Yes, through a NACES member
- Certificate of Finances Required: Yes
The program of study consists 36 credits (12 three-credit courses)
Core Courses 15 credits
Concentration Courses 12 credits
Electives 6 credits
Capstone 3 credits
Total 36 credits
The purpose of the core coursework is to enhance a student’s level of technical, managerial, research, and communication skills. All candidates are required to complete the 15 credit foundation requirement.
IT 507 Object Oriented Programming
IT 511 Database Management
IT 526 Data Communication Networks
IT 532 Systems Analysis and Design
IT 546 Ethical and Social Issues
Areas of Concentration
The concentration course requirement provides the student with the opportunity for learning advanced technological and business concepts. Candidates are required to complete 12 credits towards satisfying the concentration requirement.
Data Analytics (select four):
IT 513 Data Mining and Visualization
IT 541 Decision Support Systems
IT 553 Statistical Analysis and Predictive Modeling
IT 562 Data Analytics
Digital Forensics (select four):
CJ 536 Digital Investigation and Evidence Collection
CJ 537 Forensic Acquisition and Analysis
CJ 538 Network and Cloud Forensics
CJ 539 Advanced Digital Forensics
Healthcare Information Management (select four):
IT 541 Decision Support Systems
IT 562 Data Analytics
IT 580 Introduction to Health Care Information Technologies
HC 503 Legal Aspects of Health Systems Management
HC 504 Issues in Quality Management for Health Care Systems
HC 508 Management of Information and Communication Technologies in Health Care Systems
NU 538 Health Informatics, Quality and Safety
Cyber Security (select four):
IT 525 IT Security
IT 528 Wireless Technology Management
IT 545 Cyber Security Management
IT 515 Vulnerability Assessment
IT 573 Cryptography
Project Management (select four):
PM 501 Project Management Essentials
PM 506 Scope and Cost Management
PM 507 Risk Management
PM 508 Contract Management
PM 509 Integrating Quality into your Project Methodologies
PM 510 Advanced Project Management
Elective Courses - 2 courses
The 6 credit elective course requirement is designed to further enhance the career goal or the interest of the candidate. Students may select two additional MSIS courses.
The capstone course requirement is a demonstration of the student’s ability to successfully complete a comprehensive and independent work by selecting and completing a project or design. Alternatively, the student may elect to complete an independent thesis on some contemporary research topic. Such thesis may
cover 3 or 6 credit hours. In the latter case the number of electives will be reduced to 3 credits.
Careers & Internships
Job growth in this field is at an all-time high, and trained professionals are in consistently increasing demand.
Average national salaries within this field:
- Senior Data Analyst - $76,422
- Senior Privacy & Security Analyst - $92,684
- Director of Analytics - $123,018
- Data Security Administrator - $73,252
- Information Security Analyst - $70,491
- Information Security Manager - $105,399
- Cyber Security Engineer - $96,759
- Clinical Analyst - $66,250
- Health Information Management Director - $69,975
- Information Technology Manager - $82,695
- Information Technology Project Manager - $84,662
(Source: Payscale.com, 2016 & Bureau of Labor Statistics)
Tuition & Fees
Program Costs for 2018-2019
- Tuition/credit hour: $840
- Application Fee: $50
- Re-admission Fee: $50
- Graduation Fee: $120
- Returned Check Service: $30
- Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) fee – 30% of course tuition charge
DeSales University offers graduate students the opportunity to defer payment of their tuition when they will be receiving reimbursement from their employer or when they are eligible to receive financial aid. A copy of your employer's tuition reimbursement policy must be forwarded to the Treasurer's Office and/or all necessary financial aid paperwork must be filed with the Financial Aid Office before tuition deferment is granted.
Tuition deferment is a privilege given to graduate students at DeSales and can be revoked if this privilege is abused. Please note that you, as the student, are responsible for payment of your tuition balance in the event that your financial aid/loans or employer reimbursement is not received by the Treasurer's Office.
When a student is eligible for tuition reimbursement from his/her employer, written evidence of eligibility is required. The student is responsible for requesting this reimbursement from his/her employer. In cases where reimbursement is contingent upon successful completion of the course(s) and the student either withdraws or does not achieve a grade sufficient to warrant maximum reimbursement, the student is ultimately responsible for payment for the course(s).
Refund on Withdrawal
A refund of tuition payments will be made to a student who withdraws from a course. In all cases, credits will be calculated from the date the student completed the official withdrawal form, and the rebate will be based on the schedule shown listed below.
Refunds apply to tuition only. If a student is allowed to enroll by use of the deferred payment procedure, any funds due the University are immediately due and payable upon withdrawal.
Withdrawal during the add/drop period is 100% of tuition refunded. The schedule below is for withdrawal after the first class after the close of the add/drop period.
Withdrawal after 1st class: 80% of tuition refunded
Withdrawal after 2nd class: 65% of tuition refunded
Withdrawal after 3rd class: 50% of tuition refunded
Withdrawal after 4th class: 25% of tuition refunded
Withdrawal after 5th class: No refund