Master of Science in Cyber Security, Master's
The frequency of cyberattacks on our personal and company information continues to grow, and so does the need for professionals who can demonstrate the problem-solving and research skills needed to prevent such attacks.
The DeSales MS in Cyber Security is designed for working professionals who want to launch or advance in a career in this exciting and growing field.
The program is a combination of asynchronous and interactive lectures, practical hands-on experience, real world case studies, group work, and research.
What’s Different About DeSales?
- Designed for busy professionals, the DeSales MS Cyber Security is delivered 100% online.
- You will have the opportunity to specialize based on your career goals. We currently offer a concentration in Information Systems, with many more coming soon!
- Our instructors have professional experience and understand the needs of industry and working adults.
- We offer multiple start dates per year, so your education doesn’t have to wait.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of information security analysts is projected to grow 32 percent from 2018 to 2028, much faster than the average for all occupations.
Candidates for this program must submit the following items to be considered for admissions:
- Application: Applications are reviewed on an on-going basis and accepted students may begin at the next available session
- Application Deadline: Rolling
- Official Transcripts: Candidates must have earned a bachelor's degree in a computer related discipline from an accredited US institution with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 (B). Applicants who have not earned a degree in a related field may still be eligible for admission based on professional experience and potential to succeed in the program. Applicant who lacks related coursework may be eligible for ‘provisional’ admission to the program. Provisional admission simply requires the completion of one or two additional foundational courses as part of your plan of study.
- Personal Statement: A personal statement detailing your professional goals as well as how the program from DeSales University can assist you in achieving these goals.
International applicants must contact Leslie Bartholomew, Designated School Official, at 610-282-1100, ext. 1859 or Leslie.Bartholomew@desales.edu to inquire about international admission requirements.
Have more questions?
We're happy to help. Please contact us via the information below.
The program of study consists 36 credits (12 three-credit courses)
- Core Courses 15 credits
- Concentration Courses 12 credits
- Electives 6 credits
- Capstone 3 credits
- Total 36 credits
All candidates are required to complete the 15 credit core requirement.
- IT 525 IT Security
- IT 528 Wireless Technology Management
- IT 545 Cyber Security Management
- IT 515 Vulnerability Assessment
- IT 573 Cryptography
Areas of Concentration (Additional concentrations coming soon)
The concentration course requirement provides the student with the opportunity for learning advanced technological and business concepts. Candidates are required to complete 12 credits towards satisfying the concentration requirement.
Information Systems (select four):
- IT 507 Object Oriented Programming
- IT 511 Database Management
- IT 526 Data Communication Networks
- IT 532 System Analysis and Design
- IT 546 Ethical and Social Issues
Elective Courses - 2 courses
The 6 credit elective course requirement is designed to further enhance the career goal or the interest of the candidate. Students may select two additional courses that must be approved by your advisor.
The capstone course requirement is a demonstration of the student’s ability to successfully complete a comprehensive and independent work by selecting and completing a project or design.
Careers & Internships
Job growth in this field is at an all-time high, and trained professionals are in consistently increasing demand.
Average national salaries within this field:
- Senior Data Analyst - $79,703
- Senior Privacy & Security Analyst - $95,565
- Director of Analytics - $126,597
- Data Security Administrator - $69,634
- Information Security Analyst - $71,309 – $98,350
- Information Security Manager - $113,115
- Cyber Security Engineer - $94,929
- Clinical Analyst - $69,038
- Health Information Management Director - $70,691
- Information Technology Manager - $87,593
- Information Technology Project Manager - $87,446
(Source: Payscale.com, 2016 & Bureau of Labor Statistics)
Tuition & Fees
- Tuition/credit hour: $915*
- Re-admission Fee: $50
- Graduation Fee: $120
- Returned Check Service: $30
- Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) fee – 30% of course tuition charge
*Tuition/credit hours listed are for 2023/2024 academic year. Tuition and fees are reviewed each academic year and are subject to change with notice.
DeSales University offers graduate students the opportunity to defer payment of their tuition when they will be receiving reimbursement from their employer or when they are eligible to receive financial aid. A copy of your employer's tuition reimbursement policy must be forwarded to the Treasurer's Office and/or all necessary financial aid paperwork must be filed with the Financial Aid Office before tuition deferment is granted.
Tuition deferment is a privilege given to graduate students at DeSales and can be revoked if this privilege is abused. Please note that you, as the student, are responsible for payment of your tuition balance in the event that your financial aid/loans or employer reimbursement is not received by the Treasurer's Office.
When a student is eligible for tuition reimbursement from his/her employer, written evidence of eligibility is required. The student is responsible for requesting this reimbursement from his/her employer. In cases where reimbursement is contingent upon successful completion of the course(s) and the student either withdraws or does not achieve a grade sufficient to warrant maximum reimbursement, the student is ultimately responsible for payment for the course(s).
Refund on Withdrawal
A refund of tuition payments will be made to a student who withdraws from a course. In all cases, credits will be calculated from the date the student completed the official withdrawal form, and the rebate will be based on the schedule shown listed below.
Refunds apply to tuition only. If a student is allowed to enroll by use of the deferred payment procedure, any funds due the University are immediately due and payable upon withdrawal.
Withdrawal during the add/drop period is 100% of tuition refunded. The schedule below is for withdrawal after the first class after the close of the add/drop period.
- Withdrawal after 1st class: 80% of tuition refunded
- Withdrawal after 2nd class: 65% of tuition refunded
- Withdrawal after 3rd class: 50% of tuition refunded
- Withdrawal after 4th class: 25% of tuition refunded
- Withdrawal after 5th class: No refund
Online Learning at DeSales
Brightspace by D2LTM is our online learning system.