Instructional Technology Master of Education, M.Ed.
Master technology as a tool for teaching and learning in traditional and distance learning classrooms.
The Master of Education in Instructional Technology is for those interested in technology as a tool for teaching and learning in traditional and distance learning classrooms, particularly in K-12 education, but in higher education as well.
The program focuses on instructional design, emerging technology, strategies for technology integration into the curriculum, and the classroom as an instructional tool to address diverse learners and to extend learning beyond the classroom. Teachers and instructional technologists will be prepared to teach the skills students need to live and work in a technology-based global society.
- The technology-related courses in the program are offered online using a learning management system and web conference environment.
- Initial and final web conference meetings are scheduled for each class with other real-time web conference meetings scheduled as needed throughout the session.
- Class sessions are conducted asynchronously over a week-long period for 12 weeks (six weeks in summer session) and are instructor-led with scheduled due dates for activity and assignment completion (not self-paced).
Orientation to Online Learning
Prior to the first online DSU course for an M.Ed. program, students are required to participate in the orientation to online learning. New students are automatically enrolled in the orientation before the start of their first session.
Admissions to the M.Ed. programs are on a rolling basis.
- Application Fee: $50
- Deadline: Rolling
- Standardized Exam Required: No
- Official Transcripts Required: Yes
- Personal Statement Required: Yes
- Letters of Recommendation: 1 Required
- Resume Required: No
- Copy of teaching certificate, if applicable only
- English Competency Exam Required: TOEFL
- Transcript Evaluation Required: Yes
- Certificate of Finances Required: Yes
21 credits for degree (student/advisor choose) - online
- CE 530 Designing for Technology Integration | 3 credits
- CE 536 Networking and Microcomputer Systems | 3 credits
- CE 537 Technology for Inclusive Classrooms | 3 credits
- CE 550 Multimedia Classroom Applications | 3 credits
- CE 553 Web Design for Educators | 3 credits
- CE 555 Management of Technology Resources | 3 credits
- CE 556 Distance Education & Emerging Technology |3 credits
- CE 599 Instructional Technology Specialist Internship | 3 credits
- ED 508 Law and Technology in Education |3 credits
- ES 570 Technology and English Learners |3 credits (Hybrid only)
M.Ed. Degree Course
12 credits required for degree
- ED 528 Data Driven Assessment and Instruction | 3 credits
- ED 504 Philosophy and Ethics in Education |3 credits
- ED 501 Educational Research |3 credits
- ED 600 Critical Issues and Research Seminar (Capstone Course) |3 credits
Call 610.282.1100, ext. 1461, to schedule your personal advising session.
Value-Added Teacher Education
Technology-Rich Curriculum: DeSales University Teacher Education has received a special designation from the Pennsylvania Department of Education for industry-leading technology integration in our teacher education programs.
Transferable Certification to Other States: Pennsylvania mandates rigorous, clear, teacher certification standards that make Pennsylvania certification easily transferable to other states. For additional detail on individual state certification requirements, refer to the state of choice.
Education Resource Lab
Students of DeSales education programs benefit from having access to the Department of Education's Resource Lab. The Lab is a convenient space where students gather to discuss topics, research, study, and work together on group projects. All the resources needed — computers, art supplies, research library texts, and more — are available to assist education students with their academic pursuits
Tuition & Fees
- Tuition/credit hour: $550
- Application Fee: $50
- Instructional Technology Fee: $10/credit included in tuition
- Internship/Practicum Fee: $325
- Student Teaching Fee: $650
- Certificate Fee: $40
- Graduation Fee: $120
- Returned Check Service: $30
- Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) fee – 30% of course tuition charge
DeSales University offers graduate students the opportunity to defer payment of their tuition when they will be receiving reimbursement from their employer or when they are eligible to receive financial aid. A copy of your employer's tuition reimbursement policy must be forwarded to the Treasurer's Office and/or all necessary financial aid paperwork must be filed with the Financial Aid Office before tuition deferment is granted.
Tuition deferment is a privilege given to graduate students at DeSales and can be revoked if this privilege is abused. Please note that you, as the student, are responsible for payment of your tuition balance in the event that your financial aid/loans or employer reimbursement is not received by the Treasurer's Office.
When a student is eligible for tuition reimbursement from his/her employer, written evidence of eligibility is required. The student is responsible for requesting this reimbursement from his/her employer. In cases where reimbursement is contingent upon successful completion of the course(s) and the student either withdraws or does not achieve a grade sufficient to warrant maximum reimbursement, the student is ultimately responsible for payment for the course(s).
Refund on Withdrawal
A refund of tuition payments will be made to a student who withdraws from a course. In all cases, credits will be calculated from the date the student completed the official withdrawal form, and the rebate will be based on the schedule shown listed below.
Refunds apply to tuition only. If a student is allowed to enroll by use of the deferred payment procedure, any funds due the University are immediately due and payable upon withdrawal.
Withdrawal during the add/drop period is 100% of tuition refunded. The schedule below is for withdrawal after the first class after the close of the add/drop period.
Withdrawal after 1st class: 80% of tuition refunded
Withdrawal after 2nd class: 65% of tuition refunded
Withdrawal after 3rd class: 50% of tuition refunded
Withdrawal after 4th class: 25% of tuition refunded
Withdrawal after 5th class: No refund
Weekend and Accelerated Courses
No refund is made after the course has begun.
- No refund is made after the course has begun.
Online Learning at DeSales
Blackboard Learn™ is our online learning system.