Information Systems - Graduate Certificate, Certificate
Courses in the Information Systems certificate program are designed to enhance a student's level of technical, managerial, research, and communication skills. Students will have met the core requirements of the MSIS curriculum upon completion of all five courses.
The program is a combination of online, asynchronous and interactive lectures, practical hands-on experience, real world case studies, group work, and research.
What’s Different About DeSales?
- Designed for busy professionals, the DeSales Certificate in Information Systems is delivered 100% online.
- Our instructors have professional experience and understand the needs of industry and working adults.
- While students are encouraged to begin in the fall, we offer multiple start dates per year, so your education doesn’t have to wait.
Candidates for this graduate certificate must submit the following items to be considered for admissions:
- Application: Applications are reviewed on an on-going basis and accepted students may begin at the next available session
- Application Fee: $50
- Application Deadline: Rolling
- Official Transcripts: Candidates must have earned a bachelor's degree in a computer related discipline from an accredited US institution with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 (B). Applicants who have not earned a degree in a related field may still be eligible for admission based on professional experience and potential to succeed in the program. Applicant who lacks related coursework may be eligible for ‘provisional’ admission to the program. Provisional admission simply requires the completion of one or two additional foundational courses as part of your plan of study.
- Personal Statement: A personal statement detailing your professional goals as well as how the program from DeSales University can assist you in achieving these goals.
Have more questions?
We're happy to help. Please contact us via the information below.
The Information Systems Certificate is a 15-credit, five course plan of study. Upon completion, students will have met the requirements of the Core of the MSIS curriculum.
- IT 507 Object Oriented Programming - An advanced object oriented programming course using the C# programming language. MSIS Core course.
- IT 511 Database Management - Database design, structured query language programming, and advanced database management skills such as performance tuning, transaction management, and database administration are emphasized. Managerial skills in database planning and logical and physical design are also addressed. MSIS Core course.
- IT 526 Data Communication Networks - Exposure to communication theory, hardware components, analog and digital transmission, common carrier services, communication protocols, enterprise networking, routing, and the OSI model. MSIS Core course.
- IT 532 Systems Analysis and Design - Addresses fundamental concepts of requirements specification, analysis, and system design. Topics include systems, events, objects, classes, inheritance, associations, and models. Requirements specification covers use cases, usage scenarios, interaction diagrams, and models. Requirements analysis includes event stimuli, business rules, event responses, system context models, domain object models, and objects state transition diagrams. System design includes mapping events and object models. MSIS Core course.
- IT 546 Ethical and Social Issues - A study of ethics, values, technology, and business.The economic and social effects of technology.Conflict and crime in the technological society. MSIS Core course.
Graduate certificates are awarded upon completion of all required coursework with a minimum cumulative grade point overage of 3.0 with no grades lower than B-.
Careers & Internships
Job growth in this field is at an all-time high, and trained professionals are in consistently increasing demand.
Average national salaries within this field:
- Senior Data Analyst - $79,703
- Senior Privacy & Security Analyst - $95,565
- Director of Analytics - $126,597
- Data Security Administrator - $69,634
- Information Security Analyst - $71,309 – $98,350
- Information Security Manager - $113,115
- Cyber Security Engineer - $94,929
- Clinical Analyst - $69,038
- Health Information Management Director - $70,691
- Information Technology Manager - $87,593
- Information Technology Project Manager - $87,446
(Source: Payscale.com, 2016 & Bureau of Labor Statistics)
Tuition & Fees
Program Costs for 2020-2021
- Tuition/credit hour: $855*
- Application Fee: $50
- Re-admission Fee: $50
- Graduation Fee: $120
- Returned Check Service: $30
- Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) fee – 30% of course tuition charge
*Tuition/credit hour will increase to $880 for 2021-2022
DeSales University offers graduate students the opportunity to defer payment of their tuition when they will be receiving reimbursement from their employer or when they are eligible to receive financial aid. A copy of your employer's tuition reimbursement policy must be forwarded to the Treasurer's Office and/or all necessary financial aid paperwork must be filed with the Financial Aid Office before tuition deferment is granted.
Tuition deferment is a privilege given to graduate students at DeSales and can be revoked if this privilege is abused. Please note that you, as the student, are responsible for payment of your tuition balance in the event that your financial aid/loans or employer reimbursement is not received by the Treasurer's Office.
When a student is eligible for tuition reimbursement from his/her employer, written evidence of eligibility is required. The student is responsible for requesting this reimbursement from his/her employer. In cases where reimbursement is contingent upon successful completion of the course(s) and the student either withdraws or does not achieve a grade sufficient to warrant maximum reimbursement, the student is ultimately responsible for payment for the course(s).
Refund on Withdrawal
A refund of tuition payments will be made to a student who withdraws from a course. In all cases, credits will be calculated from the date the student completed the official withdrawal form, and the rebate will be based on the schedule shown listed below.
Refunds apply to tuition only. If a student is allowed to enroll by use of the deferred payment procedure, any funds due the University are immediately due and payable upon withdrawal.
Withdrawal during the add/drop period is 100% of tuition refunded. The schedule below is for withdrawal after the first class after the close of the add/drop period.
- Withdrawal after 1st class: 80% of tuition refunded
- Withdrawal after 2nd class: 65% of tuition refunded
- Withdrawal after 3rd class: 50% of tuition refunded
- Withdrawal after 4th class: 25% of tuition refunded
- Withdrawal after 5th class: No refund
Online Learning at DeSales
Blackboard Learn™ is our online learning system.