Healthcare Information Management - Graduate Certificate, Certificate
This program combines technical and managerial skills, and can build on your current IT skills to give you a specialized and competitive career advantage.
Created with flexibility for working adults, this program adapts to teach new and relevant technologies from field-experienced faculty who address real-world scenarios.
As the amount of digital patient and health data continues to increase, professionals who understand and protect the specific demands of the healthcare field are needed for data mining, facility economics, and internet-based medical care implementing HIPAA best practices.
What’s Different About DeSales?
- Our faculty are working professionals. You’ll be taught by professionally active advanced practice faculty who connect textbook theory with real-world application of tools, processes, and methodologies.
- You can choose from the flexibility of online, in-classroom or hybrid course options and attend full- or part-time. You can choose the program that will best fit into your life.
- We offer four starts dates per year, so your education doesn’t have to wait.
Qualifications for admission:
- A bachelor’s degree from a college or university accred-ited by one of the six regional accrediting bodies (Middle States, New England, North Central, Northwest, Southern, and Western Association of Schools and Colleges) or its equivalent from a foreign institution.
- A GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- A personal statement detailing your professional goals as well as how the Healthcare Information Management Graduate Certificate from DeSales University can assist you in achieving these goals.
Have more questions?
We're happy to help. Please contact us via the information below.
The 18-credit Healthcare Information Management certificate program is a richly blended skillset of nursing science and information science.
This certificate program will prepare you to:
- successfully compete for employment in the healthcare field;
- use workflow analyses to examine current practices and workflows, and to examine the potential impact of informatics solutions on existing workflows;
- use analytical models, algorithms, and tools that facilitate assessment of healthcare information systems.
- utilize genomics and bioinformatics software tools and biotechnology software, and to apply best practices (HIPAA, CPHIT) to clinical information systems.
- demonstrate knowledge of high ethical standards — and how they apply in real life situations — consistent with the Christian humanistic philosophy of St. Francis de Sales.
As a student in this program, you'll be advised by both the Nursing program advisor and the MSIS program director to ensure your education path matches your goals.
Complete the following three credit courses to earn the 18-credit graduate certificate program in Healthcare Information Management:
IT 511 Database Management
IT 513 Data Mining and Visualization
IT 532 Systems Analysis and Design
IT 541 Decision Support Systems
IT 562 Data Analytics
IT 580 Introduction to Healthcare Information Technologies
Graduate certificates are awarded upon completion of all required coursework with a minimum cumulative grade point overage of 3.0 with no grades lower than B-.
Careers & Internships
Job growth in this field is at an all-time high, and trained professionals are in consistently increasing demand.
Average national salaries within this field:
- Senior Data Analyst - $76,422
- Senior Privacy & Security Analyst - $92,684
- Director of Analytics - $123,018
- Data Security Administrator - $73,252
- Information Security Analyst - $70,491
- Information Security Manager - $105,399
- Cyber Security Engineer - $96,759
- Clinical Analyst - $66,250
- Health Information Management Director - $69,975
- Information Technology Manager - $82,695
- Information Technology Project Manager - $84,662
(Source: Payscale.com, 2016 & Bureau of Labor Statistics)
Tuition & Fees
Program Costs for 2018-2019
- Tuition/credit hour: $840
- Application Fee: $50
- Re-admission Fee: $50
- Graduation Fee: $120
- Returned Check Service: $30
- Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) fee – 30% of course tuition charge
DeSales University offers graduate students the opportunity to defer payment of their tuition when they will be receiving reimbursement from their employer or when they are eligible to receive financial aid. A copy of your employer's tuition reimbursement policy must be forwarded to the Treasurer's Office and/or all necessary financial aid paperwork must be filed with the Financial Aid Office before tuition deferment is granted.
Tuition deferment is a privilege given to graduate students at DeSales and can be revoked if this privilege is abused. Please note that you, as the student, are responsible for payment of your tuition balance in the event that your financial aid/loans or employer reimbursement is not received by the Treasurer's Office.
When a student is eligible for tuition reimbursement from his/her employer, written evidence of eligibility is required. The student is responsible for requesting this reimbursement from his/her employer. In cases where reimbursement is contingent upon successful completion of the course(s) and the student either withdraws or does not achieve a grade sufficient to warrant maximum reimbursement, the student is ultimately responsible for payment for the course(s).
Refund on Withdrawal
A refund of tuition payments will be made to a student who withdraws from a course. In all cases, credits will be calculated from the date the student completed the official withdrawal form, and the rebate will be based on the schedule shown listed below.
Refunds apply to tuition only. If a student is allowed to enroll by use of the deferred payment procedure, any funds due the University are immediately due and payable upon withdrawal.
Withdrawal during the add/drop period is 100% of tuition refunded. The schedule below is for withdrawal after the first class after the close of the add/drop period.
Withdrawal after 1st class: 80% of tuition refunded
Withdrawal after 2nd class: 65% of tuition refunded
Withdrawal after 3rd class: 50% of tuition refunded
Withdrawal after 4th class: 25% of tuition refunded
Withdrawal after 5th class: No refund
Online Learning at DeSales
Blackboard Learn™ is our online learning system.