DNP + MBA: Doctor of Nursing Practice - Clinical Leadership with MBA, DNP + MBA
The DNP/MBA dual degree enhances your healthcare expertise by infusing financial aspects of health care management into advanced practice curriculum.
The Clinical Leadership DNP provides the terminal practice degree for nurses certified and practicing in the scope of the nurse practitioner, clinical nurse specialist, nurse midwife, and nurse anesthetist roles.
These roles allow nurses to provide advanced levels of nursing care to individuals, families, and populations. Doctoral courses in this track focus on leadership at the organizational level, identification and evaluation of evidence-based practice, analysis of health policy issues, and application of theory as the underpinning of advanced nursing practice through evidence-based research.
A DNP degree — the highest level of nursing practice education — greatly expands your administrative healthcare opportunities. To excel in today’s healthcare marketplace, however, it is also necessary to understand and address critical business functions. Business skills are a must for those who aspire to successfully operate any size healthcare facility.
The DNP Program is Fast and Flexible
All DNP and MBA degree requirements can be met within a 12-semester timeframe in the full-time option, or an 18-semester timeframe in the part-time option. We are one of the few universities in the nation — and the only university on the East Coast — to offer a DNP/MBA dual degree.
The DeSales Difference
- You can continue to work while pursuing doctoral study with our innovative, flexible format.
- You can complete the program full-time or part-time.
- The DNP program starts once a year in August with an on-campus residency weekend. Students are encouraged to attend subsequent residencies on campus in Winter and Spring but have the option of attending completely online.
- Your Scholarly Project Committee Chair, a doctorally prepared DeSales University Nursing Faculty member, will guide you through the design, implementation, completion and defense of the scholarly project.
- You'll learn from highly-experienced nursing faculty who maintain active clinical and administrative practices, have years of advanced practice experience across a variety of specialty areas, and are active in their state and national organizations.
- Our Nursing and MBA faculty are working professionals. You’ll be taught by active industry leaders who integrate textbook theory with real-world application of tools, processes, and methodologies.
- A business foundations course is included in the DNP/MBA curriculum for those who need a basic understanding of business principles. You don’t need a degree in business or a related field to pursue the DNP/MBA degree program.
To apply to the DNP Clinical Leadership track, you must have:
- a baccalaureate degree in nursing from an ACEN or CCNE accredited institution
- a master of science in nursing (MSN) degree from an ACEN or CCNE accredited institution with a cumulative GPA of 3.3 or higher on a 4.0 scale
- completion of a master's level statistics course with a grade of "B" or better within the last 5 years
- current licensure as a registered nurse in the United States
- national certification as an advanced practice nurse (NP, CNS, CNM, CRNA)
- evidence of a minimum of 500 precepted/supervised clinical practicum hours during the applicant’s advanced practice program
- evidence of the equivalent of 12 months of full-time nursing practice within the last three years
New graduates are expected to obtain APN certification and an APN position within the first six months of program matriculation.
International applicants must contact Julie Ferraro, Designated School Official, at 610-282-1100, ext. 1768 or firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire about international admission requirements.
The application for the Fall 2021 program start is now closed. We are currently accepting applications for the Fall 2022/August 2022 program start date.
The deadline for the Fall 2022/August 2022 Cohort is June 15, 2022.
For important application procedure information, see How to Apply
In the DNP Clinical Leadership Track with MBA you'll complete:
- 22 courses plus scholarly project and portfolio
- 68 credits
- 525 minimum residency hours
Choose either a full-time or part-time program of study.
Careers & Internships
DNPs are employed in a variety of clinical practice positions.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics in 2015:
- Average MSN salary was $104,740/year
- Average DNP salary was $135,000/year
- Average DNP/MBA salary was $155,000/year
With the evolution of skills and knowledge required to perform effectively in the practice arena, the DNP equips you to maneuver effectively in the changing health care environment.
The DNP graduate will serve in key leadership positions and activities designed to impact the health outcomes of individuals, families, and communities. The blending of clinical skills with organizational, economic, and leadership capabilities teaches you to be an active participant in the transformation of health care practices.
Do you want to become a nurse educator?
Tuition & Fees
Doctor of Nursing Practice
- Tuition/credit hour: $1,095
- Program Fee/course: $275
- Laboratory Fee*: $250
- Application Fee: $50
- Graduation Fee: $120
- Returned Check Service: $30
*Laboratory fees are due on registration for: NU 813
Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- Tuition/credit hour: $855
DeSales University offers graduate students the opportunity to defer payment of their tuition when they will be receiving reimbursement from their employer or when they are eligible to receive financial aid. A copy of your employer's tuition reimbursement policy must be forwarded to the Treasurer's Office and/or all necessary financial aid paperwork must be filed with the Financial Aid Office before tuition deferment is granted.
Tuition deferment is a privilege given to graduate students at DeSales and can be revoked if this privilege is abused. Please note that you, as the student, are responsible for payment of your tuition balance in the event that your financial aid/loans or employer reimbursement is not received by the Treasurer's Office.
When a student is eligible for tuition reimbursement from his/her employer, written evidence of eligibility is required. The student is responsible for requesting this reimbursement from his/her employer. In cases where reimbursement is contingent upon successful completion of the course(s) and the student either withdraws or does not achieve a grade sufficient to warrant maximum reimbursement, the student is ultimately responsible for payment for the course(s).
One FREE course for DeSales MSN graduates
DeSales offers one FREE 3-credit, 800-level Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) course to eligible* DeSales University Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) Program graduates and DSU Post-MSN Certificate (PMC) completers.
Refund on Withdrawal
A refund of tuition payments will be made to a student who withdraws from a course. In all cases, credits will be calculated from the date the student completed the official withdrawal form, and the rebate will be based on the schedule shown below.
Refunds apply to tuition only. If a student is allowed to enroll by use of the deferred payment procedure, any funds due the University are immediately due and payable upon withdrawal.
Withdrawal during the add/drop period is 100% of tuition refunded. The schedule below is for withdrawal after the first class after the close of the add/drop period.
The refund policy is based upon the number of classes held up to the date of withdrawal.
- Withdrawal after 1st class: 80% of tuition refunded
- Withdrawal after 2nd class: 65% of tuition refunded
- Withdrawal after 3rd class: 50% of tuition refunded
- Withdrawal after 4th class: 25% of tuition refunded
- Withdrawal after 5th class: No refund
The baccalaureate degree program in nursing, master’s degree program in nursing, Doctor of Nursing Practice program, and post-graduate APRN certificate programs at DeSales University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.ccneaccreditation.org).