Certified Financial Planner Board-Registered Program, Certificate
A six course Certified Financial Planner® (CFP) Board Registered Program
DeSales is currently the only Certified Financial Planner® (CFP) Board Registered Program in the Lehigh Valley.
Upon successful completion of this program, you'll be eligible to sit for the CFP® Certification Examination. Learn More about the CFP® Certification Examination »
- Accelerated course format
- Convenient evening and weekend scheduling options
- Highly experienced and respected faculty
- Financial aid and tuition deferment programs
- Personal advising
In addition, students with a specialty in personal financial planning can choose a career within a full array of jobs. You can be a self-employed financial advisor, or work for various financial institutions such as:
- Saving institutions
- Credit unions
- Brokerage firms
- Law offices
- Human resource and employee benefits departments
Is this certificate right for you?
The DeSales ACCESS Certificate in Financial Planning could be a great fit for you if you’re looking for a new or boosted career in financial planning:
- AND you don’t have a bachelor’s degree;
- OR you have a degree, but you don’t need or want an MBA;
- AND you know you’d like to sit for the CFP® Certification Examination.
But, if you’re looking for a new or boosted career in financial planning:
- AND you already have a bachelor’s degree;
- AND you may or may not want to sit for the CFP® Certification Examination;
- AND you’d like to earn an MBA someday;
Then the DeSales Master’s Certificate in Financial Planning Program could be a great fit for you. Learn more about the DeSales Graduate Certificate in Financial Planning
Gainful Employment Information
If you have a high school diploma or GED and the desire to learn, you meet DeSales' basic requirements for the ACCESS program. Anything beyond these basics puts you on an even faster track to earning your DeSales degree or certificate.
You are welcome to apply as long as you meet one* of the following:
- have been out of high school for 5+ years;
- are a veteran or active duty service member;
- have a full-time career and/or other significant non-academic responsibilities, such as being self-supporting or having financial dependents;
- already have a bachelor's degree and are now pursuing a certificate, second degree.
*Additional documentation may be required to determine eligibility.
If you have already attended some college...
We will be happy to evaluate your prior college courses to the number of credits you may be able to transfer toward your DeSales' program.
- DeSales accepts up to 75 credits from regionally accredited colleges and universities.
- All transferred credits must be applicable to some curriculum offered at DeSales University.
- You must complete at least 15 three-credit (or more) courses at DeSales University to earn a degree from DSU.
- Only credit is transferred, your grades for transfer courses are not calculated into the your GPA at DSU. (Exception: grades earned at LVAIC institutions via the cross registration process are included in the calculation of your DSU GPA.)
Earn credits for your non-college experience...
DeSales ACCESS program can give you college credits for the knowledge and skills you have acquired through non-college learning. Our prior learning assessment enables you to demonstrate what you've learned. Examples of non-college learning may include:
- Work experience
- Military training
- Non-traditional training
Three steps to admissions
Apply to ACCESS
The application process begins with an ACCESS Application for Admission. A copy of your high school diploma or GED is also required
- Meet with an academic advisor
One of our staff members will help you set up an appointment with an advisor at one of our locations.
- Choose your classes
Your advisor will help you come up with your personal education plan.
Criteria for admissions to the ACCESS program
A non-traditional student is defined as “Any student, regardless of age, whose primary adult responsibilities are non-academic, and for whom those responsibilities take priority at this time in their lives.”
Non-traditional learners meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Have a career and other significant non-academic responsibilities (e.g., being self-supporting, working full-time, having financial dependents) that conflict with traditional college experiences;
- Be out of high school for 5+ years at the time of first undergraduate registration, or have a 2-4 year interruption in his/her undergraduate education;
- Is a veteran or active duty service member;
- Needs to be enrolled in an online program due to significant non-academic responsibilities (e.g. being self-supporting, working full-time, having financial dependents);
- Must take fewer than 12 credits due to significant nonacademic commitments (e.g. being self-supporting, working full-time, having financial dependents);
- Is pursuing post-baccalaureate studies (e.g., certificate, second degree), primarily with undergraduate courses.
Financial Planning Certificate Requirements:
- FN290 Personal Finance
- FN311 Income Tax Planning
(NOTE: AB322 and AB323/4 together can be taken in place of FN311)
- FN315 Retirement and Estate Planning
- FN342 Introduction to Risk Management
- FN361 Investments and Portfolio Management
- FN417 Financial Plan Development
All students have access to online databases and a ton of online resources.
Learn more about the Trexler Library
The Academic Resource Center at our Center Valley Campus helps good students become even better, providing both professional and peer tutoring for all traditional and nontraditional (ACCESS) undergraduate students.
Resources for Online Students are held to the same high standards as our campus classrooms. Instruction is presented in a way that is best suited to online learning, and we offer plenty of help along the way. The Department of Distance Education and Instructional Technology (DEIT) provides orientation, workshops and ongoing support to help you navigate your online learning environment. Learn about DEIT
Center Valley Campus
2755 Station Avenue
Center Valley, PA 18034
- Monday & Friday
8:30 am - 4:45 pm
- Tuesday - Thursday
8:30 am - 6:00 pm
Tuition & Fees
Smart financial decisions begin with tuition
Enroll in this program and pay just $249 per credit!
Online Learning at DeSales
Blackboard Learn™ is our online learning system.