If you have a bachelor's degree — in any major — the DeSales Teacher Intern Certification Program can help fast-track your teaching career.
In this two-phase program, you'll ...
- Earn a teacher intern certification in as little as four months.
This certification qualifies you to work as a teacher while you ...
- Complete the program to earn your full Instructional I certificate.
Reasons to Choose TIP
- Acceptance into the Program is an opportunity to work in an instructional position while you earn your Intern Certification and progressing through to your Instructional I certification.
- The pathway is customized to your needs and goals — while maintaining rigorous and high-quality learning standards.
- The program is designed to teach, mentor, and support you throughout the entire certification process.
Accelerated Teacher Intern Programs
Special Education PreK-12 Accelerated Teacher Intern Certification with Master's Option, Certification , M.Ed.
Program for those with a bachelor’s degree who have some experience working in special education settings as instructional aides, support staff, substitute teachers, or emergency-certified teachers.
- Required supervised field hours and full-semester student teaching may be earned within an eligible job setting.
- DPEC (DeSales Partners in Education Consortium) partial Scholarships are available from many full time employees of partner institutions.
DeSales has the only currently-approved Special Education PreK-12 Teacher Intern Program in Pennsylvania.
Admissions to the M.Ed. programs are evaluated on a rolling basis.
Application Checklist Items
- Application Fee: $50
- Standardized Exam Required: No
- Official Transcripts Required: Yes
- Personal Statement Required: Yes
- Letters of Recommendation: 1 Required
- Resume Required: Graduate Program in Higher Education only
- Copy of teaching certificate, if applicable
- English Competency Exam Required: TOEFL
- Transcript Evaluation Required: Yes
- Certificate of Finances Required: Yes
All courses are 3 credits, unless otherwise noted.
- ED 500 - Foundations of Education
- ED 502 - Advanced Psychology of Learning
- ED 515 - Foundations of English Language Learner Education
- SE 500 - Foundations of Special Education
- SE 504 - Curricula and Strategies for Moderate to Severe Disabilities
- SE 508 - Collaboration and Consultation
- SE 512 - Technology in Special Education
- SE 516 - Curricula and Strategies for Mild Disabilities
- SE 520 - Transition Services
- SE 518 - Positive Behavior Management for Academic Success
- SE 522 - Remedial Techniques in Reading and Writing
- SE 523 - Assessment and IEP Development
Field, Practicum, and/or Student Teaching
- SE 524 - Special Education Clinical Field 1 (High Incidence—90 hours)
- SE 525 - Special Education Clinical Field 2 (Low Incidence—80 hours)
- SE 550/551 - Special Education Student Teaching (64 days) - 12 credits
Master's Core (for Master's Degree)
- ED 501 - Educational Research
- ED 504 - Philosophy and Ethics in Education
- ED 528 - Data-Driven Assessment and Instruction
- ED 600 - Critical Issues in Research Seminar
Technology-Rich Curriculum: DeSales University Teacher Education has received a special designation from the Pennsylvania Department of Education for industry-leading technology integration in our teacher education programs.
Transferable Certification to Other States: Pennsylvania mandates rigorous, clear, teacher certification standards that make Pennsylvania certification easily transferable to other states. For additional detail on individual state certification requirements, refer to the state of choice.
'Flex' Classrooms: DeSales has 10 classrooms and four mobile units specifically configured for the 'Flex' class format, for both in-class and online students. The flex classrooms utilize additional video monitors and webcams to fully incorporate and engage online students into the live class session.
Education Resource Lab
Students of DeSales education programs benefit from having access to the Department of Education's Resource Lab. The Lab is a convenient space where students gather to discuss topics, research, study, and work together on group projects. All the resources needed — computers, art supplies, research library texts, and more — are available to assist education students with their academic pursuits
Tuition & Fees
- Tuition/credit hour: $550
- Application Fee: $50
- Instructional Technology Fee: $10/credit included in tuition
- Internship/Practicum Fee: $325
- Student Teaching Fee: $650
- Certificate Fee: $40
- Graduation Fee: $120
- Returned Check Service: $30
- Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) fee – 30% of course tuition charge
DeSales University offers graduate students the opportunity to defer payment of their tuition when they will be receiving reimbursement from their employer or when they are eligible to receive financial aid. A copy of your employer's tuition reimbursement policy must be forwarded to the Treasurer's Office and/or all necessary financial aid paperwork must be filed with the Financial Aid Office before tuition deferment is granted.
Tuition deferment is a privilege given to graduate students at DeSales and can be revoked if this privilege is abused. Please note that you, as the student, are responsible for payment of your tuition balance in the event that your financial aid/loans or employer reimbursement is not received by the Treasurer's Office.
When a student is eligible for tuition reimbursement from his/her employer, written evidence of eligibility is required. The student is responsible for requesting this reimbursement from his/her employer. In cases where reimbursement is contingent upon successful completion of the course(s) and the student either withdraws or does not achieve a grade sufficient to warrant maximum reimbursement, the student is ultimately responsible for payment for the course(s).
Refund on Withdrawal
A refund of tuition payments will be made to a student who withdraws from a course. In all cases, credits will be calculated from the date the student completed the official withdrawal form, and the rebate will be based on the schedule shown listed below.
Refunds apply to tuition only. If a student is allowed to enroll by use of the deferred payment procedure, any funds due the University are immediately due and payable upon withdrawal.
Withdrawal during the add/drop period is 100% of tuition refunded. The schedule below is for withdrawal after the first class after the close of the add/drop period.
Withdrawal after 1st class: 80% of tuition refunded
Withdrawal after 2nd class: 65% of tuition refunded
Withdrawal after 3rd class: 50% of tuition refunded
Withdrawal after 4th class: 25% of tuition refunded
Withdrawal after 5th class: No refund
Weekend and Accelerated Courses
No refund is made after the course has begun.
- No refund is made after the course has begun.
Online Learning at DeSales
Blackboard Learn™ is our online learning system.
About the Intern Certification
Intern Certification is a Pennsylvania-approved alternate-route teacher certificate that allows individuals to hold full-time professional teaching positions for up to three years once the Intern Certification is issued.
DeSales is currently the ONLY approved Special Education PreK-12 Intern Certification Program in Pennsylvania.
This program is best suited for candidates who hope to work in areas of teacher shortage such as in special education, mathematics, the sciences, and world languages.
However, candidates in English and the social sciences have gained immediate employment after intern certification.
10% Discount on Summer Classes for Part Time Graduate Programs
Are you looking to finish your degree or start a new one? With a 10% summer tuition discount and classes starting as early as May, you can reach your true potential. Classes run throughout the summer.