Exploratory Studies vs. Undeclared
Unlike what you may see at other schools, we don’t use the words “undeclared” or “undecided” here. This is because we believe in defining you by what you are rather than by what you’re not. You’re not indecisive or unsure; you are creating the life you want to live.
More freshmen enter Exploratory Studies than any major at DeSales. Through the program, we’ll give you the tools to make the best decisions for your future. And, if you do your part, we’ll help you stay on track to graduate in four years.
- You’ll take a class to help you clarify your interests, strengths, and values, and relate them to a course of study.
- You’ll connect with faculty members and alumni who share their experience in a range of majors and careers.
- You’ll receive individual guidance to help you satisfy graduation requirements while you explore different fields of study.
The Exploratory Studies Program will help you with the selection of and transition into academic majors that will empower you to live a successful and fulfilling life. The program is founded on the ideas that:
Uncertainty is normal.
Many college students change majors at some point. If you thoughtfully evaluate your options with good information, you’ll be more likely to make the right choice the first time.
Each person is unique.
Majors and careers are not one-size-fits-all. You’ll be happier and more successful in a field where your individual interests, abilities, and opportunities meet.
A well-rounded education opens doors.
The job market is constantly evolving. An education that combines a broad foundation in the liberal arts with discipline-specific skills will prepare you for whatever the future brings
College is a time to discover and develop your gifts. Choose to explore.
The Pre-Nursing Program is open to all freshman who do not initially meet the requirements for admission to the Nursing major. This program can help you achieve your goal of earning a Bachelor of Science in Nursing in four years.
You will be GUARANTEED ACCEPTANCE into the Nursing major at the end of your freshman year as long as you earn the following grade requirements, which must be met by all Nursing majors at DeSales University:
- A cumulative GPA equal to or higher than 2.75 at the end of the spring semester of freshman year
- A grade of C or higher in the following courses, which must be taken at DeSales University:
- Biology 263: Anatomy & Physiology I
- Biology 264: Anatomy & Physiology II
- Chemistry 107: Physiological Chemistry
The Pre-Nursing Program is part of Exploratory Studies. As a student in this program, you will be supported by:
- A faculty-led tutoring program in your Anatomy & Physiology courses
- Individual guidance from a Pre-Nursing faculty advisor
- An Exploratory Studies course focused on academic and career success
For more information, contact:
Bennett Durham, M.M.
Director of Exploratory Studies
610.282.1100, ext. 1751