"We seek to spread mathematics awareness throughout DeSales and beyond..."
The DeSales Math Club, a student chapter of the Mathematical Association of America, is a student group open to all DeSales students who are interested in mathematics. For more information contact the group's advisors, Professor Annmarie Houck at email@example.com or Doctor Kathleen Ryan at kathleen.ryan @desales.edu.
The student leaders for the 2014-2015 academic year are Kristen Juhrden (President), Nathan Furman (Vice-President), Katie Frederick (Secretary), Matt Kastner (Treasurer), and Ryan Cleland (Advertising Lead). We have many events planned so please come and join us! Check out the DSU Mathematics/Computer Science Department Group on Facebook for pictures from recent and past activities.
DeSales University Mathematics Club Mission Statement
The DeSales University Mathematics Club is an official chapter of the Mathematical Association of America (MAA). As a student organization, we seek to spread mathematics awareness throughout our university and beyond. We also aim to build community within our university's department as well as with other student chapters of the MAA. To accomplish these goals, we provide many outlets for Mathematical awareness. Our club provides a bulletin board in which math news, comics, pictures, facts, and a monthly math problem contest are displayed. Our club participates in regional math conferences and attends lectures conducted by local mathematics professors and students. In addition, we hold several social events, campus-wide and amongst the community, to encourage the interaction of Mathematics students, to inspire an appreciation of the beauty and scope of mathematics, and to have fun.
The Mathematics Club is open to all DeSales University students. Typically we hold 1-2 meetings per month. We are a small club that provides a "second family" for students involved in the mathematical sciences.
The DeSales University Mathematics Club has participated in all of the following:
- Pi Mu Epsilon Moravian Undergraduate Conference
- EPaDel Career Fair & Section Meetings (for our regional MAA section)
- Lehigh Valley Association of Independent Colleges (LVAIC) annual Math Contest
- Lehigh University Pitcher Lectures
- The DSU Problem of the Month (A Campus Wide Event)
- Pi Day Celebration
- EPaDel T-Shirt Contest
- Game Night
- Euler's 300th Birthday Celebration
- Academic Excellence Picnic
- Holiday Social (in December)
- Ice Cream Social (in September)
- Movie Night
- Hiking day trips
- Mathematical Art Gallery
- New York City - The Museum of Modern Art
- Maryland - National Cryptological Museum
- Philadelphia - Franklin Institute
- Niagara Falls
Fundraiser or Social Outreach Activities:
- Candy Grams Sale: Halloween Candy and Candy Canes
- Irish Potato Sale
- Clothing Drive